Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who drags deer out of the woods? >

Who drags deer out of the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who drags deer out of the woods?

Old 11-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who drags deer out of the woods?

I've done both. Never even used a hoist, just flopped'em from one side to another. That was in MT though. Here in WV, you're supposed to just gut 'em before checking 'em in.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

A plastic sled with a couple of compression straps to hold the deer in place. And, I use my deer drag tied to the sleds rope to give more leverage.
Just don't buy the really cheapo sleds, I collapsed one last year with a 200 pound 8 pointer.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

We have not dragged one any farther than the closest ATV trail or logging road since we got our first ATV in 1987. We have gotten spoiled even morewith the two way radios, we call the closest guy to camp (usally Dad at camp) and they bring the four wheeler to us.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

I usually drag it out with help or use a 4-wheeler if there is one available. My neighbor likes to butcher them so I let him do it and we share the meat.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a little confused by your posts HCH.

You said you have been doing it for 3 years - correct? Yet phone or computer check-in just started this year? That leaves 2 years of what I don't understand.

I don't know about Iowa but here in IL the hunter must "properly dispose" of the remaining carcus. Leaving it on any public property or property not your own would result in some serious trouble if a CPO found out.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:09 PM

Thats the 1st time ive ever heard of anyone skinning a deer in the woods, I always drag the deer out and then field dress, and go home with it, where i skin them back at the barn....

nice story though....hear and learn something everyday
Old 11-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rick James

No way..........I use this. [8D]

Rick, you need to put a #20 on the side of that nice looking tractor.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

As usuall your wrong atlas. I've seen it done. The bone structure doesn't change if you know what your doing it's a very fast process.

Forgive me if I don't put too much stock in your opinions on butchering............since you are on record saying that the front legs are too much work to bother with

I know the bone structure...........I do it every year. Done 3 already this year. No way 1 guy can do a respectable job on a deer in 20 minutes.
Yes I did say the front legs aren't worth the time. I still believe that on the little ones. However I found a better way to do it all faster. I have a place I can donate the whole animal, guts and all, and still get my tax deduction.[8D] Guess what, nothing goes to waste at that place. It all becomes cat food.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

HCH,I gotta start doing that,I use a cart at times ,others drag em&sometimes throw em over my shoulder .I process my own too,and can see how you could do one in thirty minutes.Shoot in my opinion the toughest part of the process is braking down the front quarters,& even at that it's very doable.The hinds are simple too,and most easy is the backtraps&tenderloins.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I've done enough deer.........and seen other people do plenty more to know better. A good friend of mine has been a professional meat cutter for over 20 years and butchers deer for extra money during the season. He is happy if his crew does a deer in 30-40 minutes........and they have 3-4 guys going at once.
perhaps, your friend should find another way to make a living. $40/deer/4 guys * .66 hour = $6.60/hour. I think he's loosing money.

Quick Reply: Who drags deer out of the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.