Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who drags deer out of the woods? >

Who drags deer out of the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who drags deer out of the woods?

Old 11-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

Default Who drags deer out of the woods?

For the last 3 years I haven't drug a deer out of the woods even though I have shot 15. This method is great for the liberal doe tag states. I hunt way back in the woods at times where no 4 wheeler, truck, or tractor can get to.When I shoot a deer, I go back to my truck, leave my bow behind, and grab a backpack with a hoist, gambrel, rope, rubber gloves, and a trash bag. Where the deer lies I gut it, tie the hoist to a nearby tree with the rope, lift it, skin it, and bone it, put the meat in a trash bag, and place it in my backpack. I can skin and boneout a deer in 20-30 minutes. I am not dragging out the useless weight of bones and hide; unless it is a nice buck of course. I have no deer carcass to get rid of and I'm not skinning out some week old, cold or frozen deer like 90% of the guys around here do. This does not affect deer in the woods and I have seen deer walk right beside a fresh carcass. Basically the same thing that elk hunters have been doing for years.
EDIT: Of course this will not work in states that require deer to be taken to a checkin station. Here in IA they just enacted a law that we have to check a deer in by phone or computer before it can be processed for consumption. No big deal; check it in by either method and than skin it and bone it where it died. Dragging deer out of the woods is too much work for me; I have grown smarter in my 40's.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who drags deer out of the woods?

My tractor[8D]
Old 11-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

My tractor[8D]
Ditto if I hunt around the house.

If not a lot of times the greens folks will do it for me. Even going as far to ice it down before I come back to get him.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Really depends on mounting or not mounting, gotta care for the hides.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 PM

i use to drag my deer.but when me an my cuz got 2 big bucks early ml.an the weigh 200 an 165.i went an bought a cart
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

i usually drag if i cant get my truck to it. or drag it as far as i need to to meet it with the truck. your ideas not bad...but unless im in the deepwoods i wouldnt bother. just nicer to do it in the luxery of home i think. heck ive drug deer about 2 miles..actually me and dad drug 2 out of there a couple times..and drug 3 one day. the day we had 3 dead we had snow which made life easier..still took about 3hrs..but by the time we walked to the truck and back skinned and processed 3 deer and caped the buck etc and then humped out 3 bags of meat we could drug them there and been gone by then....like we were lol.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you do with the tag? I hope the land you are leaving your remains behind on is your own. I personally, tag it, load it up on the trailer behind the ATV and then hang it in the barn to bleed out. After 5 - 10 days I go and process the deer, turn the hide over to a tanner and dispose of the rest properly. When it's someone else's property, I always want to leave it in better condition than I found it. (Minus one deer of course).
Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Really depends on mounting or not mounting, gotta care for the hides.
My tractor has a buckett, I hear you Rob!!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 PM

myself! My father taught me you kill it, you drag it. But when i can afford a cart or atv you bet your behind i'll be buying one
Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wish i could process it in the woods but the state won't allow it so i drag it out

Quick Reply: Who drags deer out of the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.