Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting land question for all >

Hunting land question for all

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting land question for all

Old 11-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting land question for all

We own a 40about 10 miles off of the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota!!! From it I could go north like 40 miles before I even hit a road!!! I mostly stay within about 2 square miles of the shack, but have hunted as far as 10 miles away!!! There is only 1 road between me and Canada, about 90 miles!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:04 PM

Nice post Brocster! Like you I feel very fortunate to have access to the land that I do. I primarily hunt 1500 acres in southern Colorado, as well as about 400 acres in north-eastern Montana. Are there a lot of you out there that hunt public land?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

400 acres. About 300 of pasture and 100 of mixed hardwood. This land is surrounded by more of the same. This is a lease hunted by myself and my brother in law as well as who knows how many poachers, trespassers.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:23 PM

We have 200 acres that we hunt, owned by our family.. We are the only one thatare supposed to hunt there, my dad, me and two brothers, but who knows what else goes on when we are not there. I see signs of people being there, but never really know what they have been doing, i don't think anyone is there in gun season, but bow season is so long, who knows?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 15,000 acres of public land, got the whole thing all to my self during gun season, which is the peak of the rut also I bow hunt through gun season don't care anything about killing a deer with a gun.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

My wife and I own two parcels. One is 40 wooded acres just below the top of a mountain in a remote area of VA where I could literally shoot an arrow into WV. It also borders on George Washington National Forest (1.5 million acres, which I can also hunt) on one side and, just across a one-lane dirt road there are open field, including a small orchard. We plan to build a house there near the top (picture from our house site included below). The other area, which I usually hunt, is 98, mostly wooded mountain acres we own in conjunction with a friend (the guy who taught me bowhunting) and his wife. It also borders on GW National Forest with no public access to the forest (other than people whose land borders it) for 6 miles in any direction. I think the 98 acre parcel is the better of the two for hunting, although the views aren’t quite as nice. I see deer almost every time I set up in there, and there are definitely bucks. My hunting buddy who owns it with us saw a 10 pointer in there years ago, and I saw a very wide 6 pointer when I was standing behind a fallen tree (using it as a blind, but crackled a leaf when I turned to draw!) earlier this fall. We’re selling the 98 acres if anyone is interested!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:20 PM

My fiances family owns about 700 acres of farm land. Its 90% field and the rest of it is little hard woods in patches. There are only 5 of us that bow hunt it, but it gets crowded the first week of gun season. The biggest buck off of the farm so far this year was a 10pt that field dressed at 228lbs. On the other side of the road from the farm is a 1000 acre girl scout camp that no one is allowed to hunt on and the back side of the farm property is all sub divisions. So in the morning the deer go into the camp and at night they cross back into the fields.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 PM

2 Leases- 3 quarters of trees andfarmlandabout1/3 trees

Buddie lets me hunt about 2 quarters of trees, farmland, and pasture

Owned ground- 170 acres river ground,100 trees,70 crops
All Southeastern Kansas

Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

WE HAVE ABOUT 60 ACRES OF BROKEN HARDWOODS/HEMLOCKS DIVIDED BY A CREEK BOTTOM. WE USUALLY HAVE ONE OR TWO 2 - 3 1/2 BUCKS THAT MEANDER THROUGH, BUT USUALLY A BUNCH OF 1 1/2 YEAR OLDS AND TONS OF DOES. DEFINITELY NOT QDM BUT WE STILL ENJOY IT.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I started hunting last October......with access to 15 acres of land.....40 minutes from my home.

I hunted there 3x, last year.....until I gained access to the 24 acre old homeplace directly beside my home.

Since then.....I've gained access to:

1) 8 acres of woods across the street (this is where i shot my '06 piebald)

2) 10 acre woodlot on my street (This is where i poste dabout the "dilemma"....and the buck that I've been watching cross there in the mornings)

3) 64 acre farm that I no longer hunt....after the landowner bought his son a F-in MOTORCYCLE!!!....lol

4) 100 acre farm that attaches to state parks land on which hunting is illegal (state parks land). Im hunting this spot for th efirst time, Friday.

5) 50 acres of river bottom land that I just gained access to on Saturday. This may be the most promising piece of hunting land I've ever been on. Next year I'll work this area, right.

So far, this year, I've seen 123 deer.....and had 78 in bow range. I feel REALLY blessed to have access to this land.

jeff

Quick Reply: Hunting land question for all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.