Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting land question for all >

Hunting land question for all

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting land question for all

Old 11-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Spike

Default Hunting land question for all

Hi everyone.

I was just curious as to the type and size of land that you all ahve acces to when hunting. It seems like when you read a magazine article they expect us all to have 2000 acres of swamps and funnels and ridges and bean fields and fence rows and...you get the idea.

I'd love to see your reponses as well as what type of deer your "normally expect" to see.

I'll start

My family has access to about 370 acres of mostly timber land in NW Wisconsin. It is not all together, rather it is 80 here, 40 here etc. I feel VERY lucky to have this. There are 5 hunters in my family, so we have a good amount of land to hunt for the number of people.

We see quite a number of deer. A "normal" buck would be 2 1/2 years old, almost all of us see or get a 3 1/2 year old, and a any older than that is quite rare to see or get.

I look forward to your responses!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:31 PM

Default RE: Hunting land question for all

Bowseason - 500 acres of good mix of crops/forest/hayfields
Deer of all ages with a fair share of mature bucks

Rifleseason - 100 acres of pretty good ground. Lots of hunting pressure, but a fewbucks can still hit the magic 3 1/2 -4 1/2 years range.

All of the land is in northeast Missouri.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have access to 300 contiguous acres with a river running through it. Next year it will be down to 200 (one owner is selling off his land). The following year the owner of the other 200 is selling his farm off. In two years I'm screwed.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:41 PM

Y'all have it good, but I can't complain. I currently hunt three places real regularly. All have good surrounding land. One farm is 30 acres of mixed woods and crops. We see deer fairly regularly, including a real bruiser now and then. I've taken an 8 point and a 9 point there, as well as a button buck, in the last three or four years.

Another farm is 90 acres and has an absolutely wonderful 8 acre hayfield on top of a hill, surrounded by woods. We see deer all the time there, usually the run-of-the mill 2.5 to 3.5 year-olds. This morning my wife and I watched a real wide-racked dude, 8-10 point, meander his way through this field. A gun woulda had him with some nice 50 yard broadsides, but the crossbow doesn't do it at that range.

I also hunt our 7 acres, which is adjacent to public hunting, no idea what acreage. Most of the deer around here are small, although a good buck comes along now and then.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

WOW I hunt mostly public but Just this year I started hunting my gradpas land wich is not much a 8 acre pece of land but thare are a lot of deer here I hunt in NW Wisconsin
Old 11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Spike

Where in NW Wisconsin TBone?
Old 11-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 130 Acres With a 90 Acre plot next to it. There is also county land that borders it, I think it is 1000 plus acres which is good in bow season but sucks for gun.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt crivits and mountain wisconsin whare do you hunt

tbone
Old 11-07-2006, 05:29 PM

I hunt 162 acres. There is a healthy population of does, and a lot of young ( yearling to 2 year old ) bucks, and I have a few that would be 2+ to 3 1/2 year old bucks. I can't say that there are any over that. If there is, they spend their time on the land around mine that has more browse and oaks to feed on. My land is fairly depleted of good food sources.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Tbone1187

I hunt crivits and mountain wisconsin whare do you hunt

tbone
Balsam Lake/Luck area TBone

Quick Reply: Hunting land question for all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.