Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BROADHEAD PENATRATION >

BROADHEAD PENATRATION

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BROADHEAD PENATRATION

Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Spike

Default BROADHEAD PENATRATION

Good afternoon all. I'm new to this forum, but could really use some help. I shoot an older mathews bow (Legacy) and have a relativley short draw length. 27" That puts my arrow length at 26". My draw weight is 62#. and I have shot both cabon and alluminum arrows My allums are 2215 xx78 super slams and now using terminators 4560's. I was using the montec Tekan broad head in 100 grain. Now have gone to Montec G-5 in 125 grain. Ok. now thats all out of the way here is my problem. Shot my first buck this year at about 22 yards quartering away. Shot was about 2" high, but right behind the shoulder. I got maybe 6" of penatration. Needless to say I didn't find that deer. Did not even find my arrow. A week to the day I shot an 8pt at 30 yards, with same scenario, quartering away. Same amount of penatration. fortunately I found this one. When I rolled him over you couldn't ask for a better pocket shot. Realy frustrated. My bow shoots great groups. How do I get a pass through? Sure would make tracking a lot easier.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BROADHEAD PENATRATION

First welcome to the forums and congrats on your second deer. I do not like to here about lost deer though I know it happens. Do you sharpen your broadheads on a stone? Remember when you buy them, they only have a factory edge on them and all should be sharpened up before using.
I think the 125 grain broadhead will help you out. Other then that increase you draw wieght and see what happens. Good Luck
Old 11-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

What draw weight are you pulling? If its over 65lbs Id suggest going with the 6075s with a 125 grain head. As for a pass through, its all in shot placement. A true perpedicular broad side will get you that pass through. Quartering aways will to and extend, but a lot of times you hit shoulder on the back side. When you shoot, think of where the arrow will exit, not where it goes in. You will get better shot placement thinking that way.

By the way, welcome to the board.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Is your bow in tune? How do your broadhead groupings compare to your field points? Do your broadheads come in at a slant? If so penetration will suffer. Obvious I know, but just in case.

You could also go with a heavier arrow, yours I believe are still under 300 grains.

The more weight = better penetration. Momentum is far more important when it comes to killing a deer, instead of what all of the bow manufacturers talk about, kinetic energy. Just my opinion.

Also, I like the tried and true classic muzzy broadhead. Chisel tip makes for better bone breaking, more likely tobreak through a rib on entry, as opposed to those slicing broadheads that can deflect more.

Again, just my opinion. I would really look at bow tuning and arrow weight.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a 60lb mathews q2xl with carbons and the magnus snuffer ss 100gr which are almost identical to the montecs which I shot before my total arrow weight of just under 400 gr have passed through most of the deer I have shot atleast got the exit hole unless like previous stated hit the opposite shoulder on a quartering away shot. I agree with everything for ideas all the guys have posted. I would try to up arrow weight first after tuning of course. You should have no problem with the bow and draw weight thats plenty for deer or even elk for that matter, but my question on shot placement how far quartering away were the deer and where did you hit, you said right behind the shoulder but if the angle is steep that's not the spot then, even the 6in of penetration should take down a deer if the arrow is in the right spot although I do agree I would try for more. Just some thoughts.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

I don’t know what to tell you, Hockey1. Your setup sounds very similar to mine (not the same brands, but similar draw length (27.5”) and draw weight (58 lbs). I shoot a Darton Storm at about 58 lbs., using Carbon Express Terminators with muzzy 100’s fixed blades and get pass-throughs every time. Maybe your deer are just tougher where you live!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:16 PM

62 # is plenty of draw weight for a pass thru.

I believe the problem is the sharpness of your broadheads. If I was a betting man, I would say you did not sharpen the Montec's. Right out of the package, Montecs are not near sharp enough to hunt with. The older Montecs ( last years ) are even worse. I bought a package, took the heads out and tried to cut a piece of paper, not one of the heads would cut it. So need less to say, I have had to spend a fair amount of time working up a new edge.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

My mathews is maxed out about 58-59lbs, 28"draw,shooting goldtips and 4 blade muzzys which have a 1" dia cut 100 gr. Have had good luck with pass through except 1 but that was because of bone it hit on exit, but it did break 2 ribs on entry. I know with this bow that i dont want to go though the shoulder it is "?" if it would get enough to get through. Shot placement is key. Like someone else said aim to the exit not the entrance and you should have no problems. And stay away from large bones. This some times means letting them move further away to get the angle that you need. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Spike

Thank you all for your sugestions. Last night went to the local pro shop. Did some paper tuning. Shooting bullet holes now. Also had them chrono my bow.really slooooow. Only 218 fps. My arrows are about 411grains. I also resharpened my G-5s hope this helps. Good luck to you all, and have a safe hunting season.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

If he is quartering away and you stuck the arrow right behind the shoulder then you are getting one lung ast best and the arrow is stopping against the briskit.

On a quartering away shot you need to aim a bit farther back (closer to the rear of the ribs)so you get the rear of the near lung and the front of the far side lung. You will either get a pass thru or it will stop on the offside shoulder after passing through both lungs.

Quick Reply: BROADHEAD PENATRATION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.