Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What Did I do Wrong?? >

What Did I do Wrong??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Did I do Wrong??

Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default What Did I do Wrong??

I went up to my aunt and uncles place last night and set up on a tree line in between an alfafla field and some marsh grass. I was down wind from where i thought the deer would pass by, and i set up right. I set up a scent stick about 10 yards in front of me, as well as 10 yards behind me to cover up my scent depending on which way they would come. I wasnt even in the stand for 20 min did a little bleat call and had a nice bodied basket 6 come walk up on me. I drew back as he was headed towards me he turned broad side for a great shot, about 30 yards away, he got spooked by a farmer kickin cans around so i figured i would shoot or not get a shot off at all. He snorted, and stomped so i figured either he got wind of me or he got startled from the farmer? I shot and right as i shot he turned and the arrow went right under him. He do not believe he realized that i shot at him. So im gonna try again on friday and sit longer. I only had about 2 hours to hunt due to work, and light. Any help or did i do everything i could.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Default RE: What Did I do Wrong??

thats bowhunting...it just happens like that. try to get a closer shot...allows less time for him to move.

either way you really cant do anything more than what you did. ive missed a few like this.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

ok well i didnt know where i was gonna set up either so i was kind of in a rush to set up my stand, and on the walk out i found a tree closer to where he was walking. I will also have more time to find a better tree. Also i hope that with be not hunting there til friday it would help him kind of forget about the shot even though i dont think the shot spooked him. If i dont get him friday i will more then likely go out on saturday as well and get that sucker. Also failed to mention that the local farmers have noticed that they have seen a nice big atleast 10 pointer in the area so i believe that there are more deer in the area, i was just up there too late.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like your gett'n educated.

Recently shot a spooked deer. She turned right into my shot.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Ya im gettin educated this is my first year actually bowhunting so i know it will get better from here on out. I will be going after that sucker again, and hopefully maybe see more