Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stinking full moon.  No deer but a hog >

Stinking full moon. No deer but a hog

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stinking full moon. No deer but a hog

Old 11-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stinking full moon. No deer but a hog

I counted over 30 does this weekend and a couple of bucks but they all quit moving within the first hour of daylight. The ones we seen were heading back in the brush from feeding all night. We were planning on shooting a hog last night and just as we got ready to go out it started raining. They counted a herd of 40 the night before while we were at a party.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

I hear ya Burnie, I hate to think it , but its true, hunting the moon days, at least here in Texas suck...
new list
[ol][*]Rico, do not hunt the moon[*]Rico, do not hunt when its very windy[/ol]
I hope that list doesnt get any bigger in my years to come hunting!
Great pigy! And with a recurve!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the porker burnie. I'm with you about the full moon equalling no deer . . . usually. The rut sometimes destroys that theory. A couple years ago, I killed an eight point the morning after a full moon - he was trailing a doe and grunting like a pig. And this morning, a nice eight point got my attention by grunting and came in to catch my arrow through his heart at 20 yards. It usually sucks at full moon time, but not always during the rut.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't see anything this weekend either, until we were driving out of the lease after dark. Saw 6 deer at night. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never see anything on full moons but like being out anyway. Would love to have hogs as a back up.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Nice hog and cool bow, Burnie! And nice hunting, too, with that old recurve!

I'm coming around to that way of thinking, too, Burnie. I hunted Friday evening up the mountian inGW National Forest. I saw two deer running around full speed in figure 8's like they were crazy. Moving so fastI couldn't even see if they had antlers. Then Saturday morningshould have been amazing deermovement (17 degrees fahrenheit, which is cold for Nov here in VA). I didn't see any deer movement at all until 10 minutes before shooting light ran out that evening. Did end up with a deer, though no antlers (I hunt mainly for meat). I did see a nice turkey hen, though, that came to within 6 or 7 yards of me, then flew up to roost in a tree 20 yards away for about 20 minutes before flying down about 30 yards way and leisurely walking off into the underbrush, never giving me a shot. Similar story a month ago...full moon is crazy...
Old 11-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saturday was a great day for me. Even with the full moon I saw deer from daylight until the time I killed a nice 8 point. I killed him at 8:40 central daylight time. I usually don't see this type of movement during a full moon though. Now Sunday was a different day. Saw only a spike and a doe all morning.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Nice hog and super nice bow.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Burnie, that's a great hog! Congrats on taking him with your recurve. I saw several deer this weekend during the full moon. I saw 6 saturday evening 2 bucks (small) and 4 does. Sunday morning I saw 6 (4 mature does, 1 button buck and 1 yearling doe). The other guys on the lease saw several deer as well. Between the 4 of us that hunt our lease, we saw many deer and at least 4 mature bucks during the full moon. Seems like some years Isee alot of deer during the full moon, and others I don't. Nevertheless, I'll be in the woods.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:26 PM

Was hunting on the ground here in Delaware saturday afternoon, had the girlfriend with me who hadnt ever been hunting and is afraid of heights (hence hunting on the ground). Had a six point come in to some doe breeding bleats followed by and eight point, about 330pm, saw 5 other deer before the end of legal shooting time. Couldnt get a shot at any of them, they were to close and there wasnt enough cover for me to draw, even had the decoy out. Was still neat since she got to see all the deer

[/align]

Quick Reply: Stinking full moon. No deer but a hog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.