Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first archery buck w/pics... "rant" >

My first archery buck w/pics... "rant"

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first archery buck w/pics... "rant"

Old 11-05-2006, 01:26 PM

Default My first archery buck w/pics... "rant"

For 2 long years now I've been bowhunting with no success. This was due in part to my lack of skill, another was the peep problem I'd been fighting the whole time, and finally because of the area I was hunting. Rookie mistakes like being clueless to the fact that deer had such a great sense of smell (mind you I got into bowhunting knowing absolutely nothing), to wearing my work uniform to the hunt, to getting busted upon drawing at the wrong time on a deer all netted me zero harvest and much frustration. To add, I was using a peep that I jerry-rigged by drilling it out to suit my purpose. On top of that I was hunting mostly super high pressure major metropolitan public lands where people go jogging, hiking, (some even running screaming through the woods for reasons unbeknownst) walking dogs, snowmobileing, and not to mention the other 67 hunters I was sharing the woods with who were all trying to kill the 3 deer that were there.

Now to the good part:

I got tired of all the above so I figured that instead of making thirty 30 minute trips to said all-purpose overrun forest, I'd make three 3 hour trips to a remote yet still public but quality state forest. On the very first trip it was 5am Saturday (yesterday) morning when I got into the forest. This was a place I'd taken a dozen deer over the years with my "point and click" 270 Remington. Black River State Forest in Wisconsin was once legendary for its deer population so says a local I met so I knew there were more than just 3 deer there thus improving my chances. I'd just gotten a climbing Summit Bushmaster XLS the previous week too plus I'd just sewn silk fall colored leaves all over my hunting suit so I was pumped needless to say.

I knew the area well 'cause I'd been squirrel and gun deer hunting there for over a decade. Instinctively I headed for an area where I'd once taken 4 deer in 15 seconds (no exaggeration). The forest is composed mainly of mature oaks and maples etc. so I had no trouble quickly picking a tree overlooking a known (by me) deer trail. It was breezy(10mph), cold(25 degrees), and light rain/sleeting so the conditions were much less than favorable. I was a little bummed out as I spent the first hour shivering and watching a red headed woodpecker making a racket. All of a sudden something came over me telling me to quit gettin' distracted by the lil bugger and pay attention to what I drove 3 hours to do. I got out the Primos "lil can" and bleated a couple times. I waited motionlessly, eyes wide open looking at the trail, and arrow nocked with release latched onto the string.

Literally 2 minutes later it happened! I saw that first flash of shadowy grey and I knew this was it! Unlike the metro forest I'd been hunting where deer come through like they're late for an appointment, this one came calm, quiet, and above all slowly just like in the hunting videos. Keep in mind this was the very first time while bowhunting that I'd had any deer give me more than 10 seconds to execute any action. He came in on a doe trail half moseying half foraging. Then he veered off in a 45 degree angle AWAY from me. My heart dropped as this happened mostly because as you noticed I've been using "he". Yes, "he" had 6 points on top of his head! All I could do now was hope and pray he'd turn back my way and you knowthat I wouldn't be tying this if he hadn't. So just like a stroke of luck he turned a whole 120 degrees and was now headed straight to my tree. At this point I was already standing of course with my bow arm outstretched. I watched in anticipation hoping for him to put his head down as he made his straight line to me. At 28 yards he stopped to forage and I drew back a little faster than I should've. He quickly raised his head and looked directly at me. I thought for sure I was busted but due to all the sewn leaves on my suit and hat, he couldn't tell me apart from the half naked tree I was in. He looked intently for movement for about 5 seconds then dismissed me and turned broadside, yes BROADSIDE!!! I mouth bleated to make sure he wouldn't take a step forward as I hit my release. Instead of standing still though what he did was quickly trot forward about 5 steps in an alarmed fashion then stopped and looked dead at me once again. That's when the CX maxima 250 tipped with Muzzy bone crusher took flight.

I don't know how I was able to tell but I thought I heard a tick, thump, crash... meaning 3 points of impact. Then he took off like a top fuel dragster showing no mercy to small bushes and saplings. At 75 yards I couldn't see him anymore but in another 25 I heard half a crash (you'll understand later) followed by a grunt. Odd to me but yes a grunt. Now seeing as I couldn't keep my focus on the arrow's flight between all the heart pounding and everything else, thus not knowing where I'd hit him, it was time to play the waiting game. I gave him 3.5 hours then got down to check my arrow. Yep, complete pass though with chewed up blades and MEAT on the arrow. In my limited experience (one time) examining a pass thru'ed arrow, I interpreted that meat on it was not good. The blood was a dull red so I knew I didn't hit any lung. There was also zero blood trail which to me meant lost deer. I decided to sneak up on the area I saw him last just to see if I could see any blood that may have at that time decided to start "bleeding".

Finding nothing I decided to tread another 25 yards before backing out and waiting some more. And that's when I heard rummaging on the forest floor. I pinpoint the source of the noise 50 yards ahead as a paraplegic buck. I suppose by the wound that my arrow had caught half of the spine near the middle of the deer and didn't do much to slow him down when first hit. Then as he ran full force for a hundred yards, the weakened bone gave way to snapping. Along with that went the use of the back half of him. It now made sense to me why I heard 3 points of impact and my arrow was high and right; I'd hit a branch on the way to the buck. Anyway, he was upright as can be and crawling away on his front legs. When I got within 10 yards he quit trying and just stared at me not even in his frantic demeanor anymore. It was as if he knew this was the end of the line. I walked to within 5 yards, put down my video phone, and drew back my bow for the finish. It's amazing what shot placement can do 'cause with a double lung he instantaneously hit the ground flat and was expired a few minutes later.

Stats:

6 legal points (fork on one side and 4 on the other) 180lbs plus (I know this because I picked him up and jumped on a bathroom scale. I weigh 120 and the scale was passed the 300lb mark and couldn't go anymore) He probably only scores 48 inches though but nevertheless as much if not more of a trophy buck than the 143 gross "point and clicker" hanging on my wall. Not that I wouldn't gun hunt when the season comes around but it's nothing compared to and not nearly as exhilerating as bowhunting. There's absolutely nothing like it!!!

btw- Dragging a buck 500 yards by yourself up and down hills on wet forest floor with tractionless shoes really sucks. Take notice to my signature at the bottom.

ENJOY THE PIX...

Hard to believe an arrow did all this. Almost looks like he was hit with a cartridge.I guess when the deer is running full force he's also ripping and tearing himself apart. Still amazing though. Yep, the spine wasbroken in half.

First archery deer every and it just happened to be a buck too. I'm spoiled nowbut hey I deserve it, it's been 2 looooong years!

Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 PM

Default RE: My first archery buck w/pics... "rant"

Congrats on the buck!!!! That is one awesome pic(of the damage)!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Good job. Congrats on your first.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:48 PM

Nice job and welcome to the brotherhood.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Site Buck Guru

Congrats on your nice buck! Man, that's the coolest story I've read so far. I really enjoyed your descriptions. Good job.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your first bow kill!!!!!!!! I too hunt alot around the Milwaukee area up in the North Kettle Moraine area!! Alot of deer and alot of hunters at times, especially gun season! Once again Congrats!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Great kill...and your story was full of great information. I commend you for sewing on the silk leaves and stuff. That is persistance!!
Old 11-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys. And yes, it did take alot of persistence. I probably hunted 40 times inmy 2 year career andthere were many times when I was beginning to think I'd never harvest a deer or that I just couldn't cut it bowhunting. Truth be told, it was a combination of alot of things that I just had to figure out. One thing that was a major contributing factor was that high pressure public land deer are just friggin smart as heck. They are pretty much nocturnal and have learned to avoid people altogether otherwise. Not to mention there's no way of telling where or when any of the other 67 hunters spooked a deer. It's impossible to work around the unknown. Honestly, I feel that 2 year old does I've encountered were smarter than this 2 year old 6 pointer. It could also very well be the suit that blended me perfectly into the tree in deer vision.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a fine first bow kill and a good buck too!!! I really like the details of the story, thanks for sharing that.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the first!

Quick Reply: My first archery buck w/pics... "rant"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.