Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Neighbor's nephew got his first ever last night!!! >

Neighbor's nephew got his first ever last night!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neighbor's nephew got his first ever last night!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Neighbor's nephew got his first ever last night!!!

Had a great laugh outta my neighbor last night... his nephew got his first deer ever last night, with a bow no less... he's never dressed out a deer before so my dad and I got recruited to "supervise" to procedure... anyway.... he yanks the doe outta the trunk of his uncles Taurus and drags it up into the driveway so he can get a few pictures before we get started... the whole situation was just hysterical considering the area in which we live...

picture this... a typical Chicago suburbia sudivision mostly loaded up with 250-400k dollar homes, most families are pretty typical of mine along our block, 2-4 kids ranging in age from newborns to about 10 yrs old, parents are mostly white collar types and office workers in their 30's and quite a few stay-at-home moms... he lives on a corner of the busiest road in the subdivision and he's out there in camoflage with a big buck knife in hand field dressing a deer in his driveway... he didn't have much light so he pulls the car into the end of the drive and turns the "spot" lights on so everyone driving by can see what he's doin... and oh the stares we got... at least both of my boys (3yrs and 6.5yrs) got a bit of an education last night, they had never seen a dead deer up close, much less how to gut one... they each thought it was pretty cool, though my youngest noted the smell and commented about how the deer farted... I've gotta admit I thought it was cool that he bagged his first deer ever with a bow... but I think the funniest part was when we got ready to load it back into his car to transport to the butcher... he pulled out the garden hose to give it a rinse and filled the cavity with water then drug it down to the end of the drive and dumped the bloody water into the rain gutters... now, he has a nice WHITE car (some import sedan of some type) and after loading there was a really nice blood smear on the rear bumper which looked really impressive along with the LONG blood stain the ran down the curb the length of the uncles house to the corner where the storm drain was... I was just lovin this!!!

anyway, a couple details on the deer itself, 2.5yr old doe, dressed out ~100-105ish, nose-to-eye measurement was 130mm... he took it using a PSE Fire Flite 33 set at 28" and 55lb, shooting cabela's carbon shafts with cabela's 3 blade mechancials... shot from the front into the chest, did not get to the heart but must have hit a MAJOR artery cuz it only went about 15-20yds before she dropped, arrow and broadhead broke off inside... imho, not a choice shot, but, it was a very quick kill... sorry, i've got no pics, if I can get some from my neighbor I will add 'em in later...

at any rate, turns out the kid (I say kid but he's about 24-25 yrs old) works in the Fly Fishing dept at the new Cabela's store out in Hoffman Estates, IL and my tutelage is gonna pay off cuz he says he's gonna hook me up with employee discount stuff and I have a pretty fair sized laundry list to get over the next few months (arrows, releases, broadheads, camo, ammo, etc.)... yeah for me... the kid was excited though, you could tell he was just about excited and pumped up about the deal, it was a cool night...
Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 AM

Default RE: Neighbor's nephew got his first ever last night!!!

That's funny to read, but probably not a good thing for people to see. That can set us ina bad light with people that were otherwise neutral. I recommend at least draggin the thing to the backyard or better yet - dress the deer in the woods.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

That's funny to read, but probably not a good thing for people to see. That can set us ina bad light with people that were otherwise neutral. I recommend at least draggin the thing to the backyard or better yet - dress the deer in the woods.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Eventhough I may be extremely proud of what I have accomplished, we don't want to push the "fence riders" to the other side. But, that's still a hilarious story and congrats on the nanny!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 AM

i tend to agree, but he'd never done it before and I didn't even know he was out hunting until I got a knock on my door when he got home... not like I could give him directions over the phone ya know... and his uncle can't help cuz he's in a wheel chair... options were limited given the area and time...

edit - I will say this, most of the MEN in the neighborhood are sportsmen and they "get it"... its the women that tend to be the ones going "icky!!!"... and it was a slight drizzle so no kids were out playing either...
Old 10-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SevenMag

i tend to agree, but he'd never done it before and I didn't even know he was out hunting until I got a knock on my door when he got home... not like I could give him directions over the phone ya know... and his uncle can't help cuz he's in a wheel chair... options were limited given the area and time...
Ya gott do what ya gotta do!!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM

I had a similar experiance last year. It was my first deer ever, 2nd gun season, I got it home (live in the chicago burbs) hung it in the garage and starded cleaning it. All my neighbors are older (55+) but never said anything. At least he had a teacher, I just went on instinct but had no problems. Didn't go out yet, but plan to this friday and saturday, maybe will get my first bow kill. Living in the city can get a little tricky when it comes to hunting but I don't let it get to me.

Is Cabellas open already, might have to stop by?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Tody_PSE

Is Cabellas open already, might have to stop by?
said its been open for about 3 weeks so far... this week is their "Grand Opening" so there might be some deals to be had...
Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM

In that case I might stop by, I'm heading that way to pick up a tree stand from a guy. Where do you normally hunt?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:02 PM

normally I hunt in Alabama on family land... but soon i'll be hunting down near the Peoria area at some inlaws properties...