Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree Stands. Can't shoot the deer on the other side >

Tree Stands. Can't shoot the deer on the other side

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stands. Can't shoot the deer on the other side

Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Tree Stands. Can't shoot the deer on the other side

Have you ever been hunting and not been able to shoot the deer that is on the other side of the tree? Then when you tried to position yourself to shoot it you spooked the deer and it ran away?

Do you feel a 360 degree view from the tree standwould help solve this problem? Or what are other ways you would solve this
Old 10-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tree Stands. Can't shoot the deer on the other side

Can I add to your thread...Thanks.

I credit you guys for convincing me to always wear my harness. Now~

I don't have a problem moving in my stand. But there is always a place with the darn safety harness that it will interfere with my shot. I've tried it high, lower..always one spot, it's a pain! Remedies? or live with it and try to position the stand so that is the least likely shooting place?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

When bowhunting I stand, usually I can hear the deer coming and position myself before they can see me...If it's too late, stay still, many times they will come through and offer you a quartering away shot...If this happens often, change trees...

With a rifle, if they are too close to stand and turnaround, I shoot from my off shoulder...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I don't have a problem moving in my stand. But there is always a place with the darn safety harness that it will interfere with my shot. I've tried it high, lower..always one spot, it's a pain! Remedies? or live with it and try to position the stand so that is the least likely shooting place?
Live with it or die without it , its realy not a choice
Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

this is my first year stand and bowhunting i found that with my two person stand i had small area to shoot about 90 degrees or so to myleft
but the high traffic area is to my right and thereis a lot of attivity behind me

if i stand i can shoot 360 degrees expect for the smallarea where the tree which behind the tree is a big bush tree.

which standing is hard for me sincei am a big guyand i have only been in the stand three hunts the first i would noteven stand the second i did but would not shoot .

try standing it will help

also if you had a tree you could cut down to where you shoot but not below where the stand hangs you would get 360 view

yesterday i found my self standing me then setting
Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tie a screw in hanger about 6-8 inches above my right shoulder, on the side of the tree, not directly behind me...I then hook the strap from the tree to the harness over the hanger...The strap to my harness hangs under this hanger...I can shoot a bow from either direction...Hope this helps...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 AM

I've learned that my harness rope works better for me about chest height while standing on the platform. The harness strap and the rope hang down enough for me to shoot either side.

Anyway when you know there isa deer coming that you could loosen the rope around the tree and slide it down farther before attempting a shot? Think that would help?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Treesaddle solved this problem for me. And it solved a few other problems as well.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

My Treelounger stand helped solve this problem for me. Since you can stand up AND you have some seperation from the tree, your shooting options are expanded greatly.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tie a screw in hanger about 6-8 inches above my right shoulder, on the side of the tree, not directly behind me...I then hook the strap from the tree to the harness over the hanger...The strap to my harness hangs under this hanger...I can shoot a bow from either direction...Hope this helps...
Sounds good..but.. My lead ain't that long

I've learned that my harness rope works better for me about chest height while standing on the platform. The harness strap and the rope hang down enough for me to shoot either side.
Thats what I've been doing as of late

Anyway when you know there isa deer coming that you could loosen the rope around the tree and slide it down farther before attempting a shot? Think that would help?
Don't know..the buckle would probably rattle at some inconvienant time or excess movement would be caught. I've thought of this.. Like last night I moved my knife into my pocket and decided I would just cut it if need be.

Live with it or die without it , its realy not a choice
Thanks...the same could be said for helmet laws..speeding...unsafe sex..tobacco..alchohol...etc etc

Quick Reply: Tree Stands. Can't shoot the deer on the other side

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.