HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   laying a secnt trail (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/163163-laying-secnt-trail.html)

SDarcher 11-03-2006 12:10 PM

laying a secnt trail

how often do you guys refresh the rag or whatever you use when laying a scent rail? I'm thinking of breaking out the scent for the first time this year tonight.

Downhill18 11-03-2006 12:12 PM

RE: laying a secnt trail

If you're going to hunt morning to night, its probably a good idea to get down once mid-day and apply more scent to the rag. Shouldn't need to refresh things any more than that.

firegoon 11-03-2006 12:18 PM

If your talking about using a rag to leave scent as you walk through the woods, I tend to use a lot of scent, refreshing it every 50-100 yards.

SDarcher 11-03-2006 12:22 PM

Thats exactly what i was tlaking about thanks. Do you have much success with that method?

firegoon 11-03-2006 12:28 PM

I have had success about 50-60% of the time, whether its does or bucks. I us this method when I walk into my treestand. I had a small 8-pointer and a group of does the other day at separate times walk directly on my trail. The buck walked directly under my stand, and once the trail ended, he just stood there looking around, eventually walking off. So I"d say it does work.

arkbwhtr1 11-03-2006 02:46 PM

Glad you brought this up SD, I've used a drag rag twice this year, once early with doe pee and just the other day with Tinks 69. Results....nothing, either time. So firegoon, if you don't mind sharing the info, what brand are you using?

louddrummer69 11-03-2006 03:16 PM

This morning I was using Trails end on one drag rag and Special Doe Estrous on the other. Trails End is great stuff IMO.

firegoon 11-03-2006 03:19 PM

I have been using a mix of differnet stuff. Mostly from Wildlife Research: Trails End, Special Golden Estrus, and another called Blue Moonor Hot Moon, something like that. I'm also going to start trying this Deer Dander.

droptinez 11-03-2006 07:46 PM

ive been having some real good luck recently using Mrs. Doe Pee... i put some of that on the middle arched bottom part of my boot about every 70 yards, and usually will walk to my stand. set everything down, and put some on near bushes where there is room for it to blow around like on the outside bush by a trail... and then i will put more on my boots and walk right past my stand and keep going past till about 50 more yards and put just a little bit of drops there

pvdeerhunter42 11-04-2006 12:15 PM

the best way to do it is to start with hardly any scent on it and as you get closer to your stand apply more and more. this way the deer travel in your direction not the other way because it appears that the trail is getting hotter the closer the deer gets to you.