Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you guys do it???!!!! >

How do you guys do it???!!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you guys do it???!!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 06:55 PM

Default How do you guys do it???!!!!

I have to ask,,, to all the guys who spend time rattling and decoying during the prerut, I love rattling and have had a Carry Lite decoy for three year now, and havent used it a lot, but a little. This morning, it was a good morning cold clear and calm. I wanted to rattle and use my decoy in a good funnel area where I see lots of activity. I took my decoy to the woods a week ago and hid it in brush and covered it with leaves near the area, so I get there, and dig out my decoy, put it together in the dark, sounding like I was beating a big plastic drum,,so noisy!! I get it together, put it on my shoulder,, then my rattling horn com untied from one another, I put it all back down, tie them back,, pick it all back up, decoy, backpack, decoy stakes, decoy antlers, bow, rattling horn,, and the horns come untied again[:@]. After putting it all down again, and tying about 5 knots, I pick it all up again, and start toward my stand which I had to take in last night so I could pack in everything else this morning,lol. I finally get there and set up the decoy, climb into the stand about 15 minutes after daylight, and didnt even feel like trying to wrestle with the video camera and camera mount!! I was so pissed and worn out, I didnt even want to hunt when I got there. I have decided to not even use the decoy anymore unless I have someone along to video, and help carry stuff, and Ive decided rattling horn are the biggest pain in the butt to carry and keep quiet, I have dropped them out of the tree and banged them on the stand so much I dont hardly think they are worth the one or two buck I rattle in each year.Sorry for the long post I just wanted to whine a little, what do you suys do with all the stuff?? Do rattle bags work as well as real horns? Should I quit worrying about trying to get hunts on video, and just hunt? I really enjoy videoing hunts, but dont have double stand sets to take a cameraman along all the time. Id really like to rattle more and get some use out of the decoy, but it is all so much of a pain to deal with, it makes the hunt work.. Thanks for taking the time to read. Angus
Old 11-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Spike

Default RE: How do you guys do it???!!!!

I don't mess with all that stuff, sure it all works but I just take a grunt call and I am going to get one of those bleet cans? Where I hunt,close to the bedding area,it is more important to remain quiet going in and out of the woods than to mess with all that. In fact I finally quiet carrying my stand in and out of the woods and started leaving it there so I could eliminate the noise I made. This may not be the answer your looking for I just think that is to much for one person to deal with. Hunting is work but your supposed to enjoy it and if you don't then you need to change the way you hunt. Just my opinion?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:32 PM

I use an army surplus duffel bag to carry my decoy in. You are right, they are hard to put together without making a lot of noise.
I cary my bow in one hand, the decoy bag in the other. All my other gear(I use a rattle bag) goes in my backpack.
I have one of those lights that strap around my hat with red or white lights on it. I use the red. This keeps your hands free to assemble the decoy and see on the way in and up the tree.

I don't carry video equipment yet but will be looking for a compact camera that will fit in my backpack. When I do use real antlers for rattling I tie them to the sides of the backpack.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a folding deer cart from Cabelas or Bass Pro. You can load everything on it and wheel it right to where you want to hunt. They really help after you get a deer, too. I've have three on mine atone time . Probably saved me from a heart attack on more than one occasion.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:37 AM

Well, I hunt on a lease, but if you are on public land this might not be in your best interest. But I take eveything I need to my hunting spot the evening before I plan on hunting.

You need to know where your decoy will be placed. Go ahead and place the decoy stakes in the ground and put some engineering tape on the stakes to mark them.

Place your stand on the tree, and get the stand all set. I am assuming itis a climber, so go up the tree to the height you will hunt from. get the camera arm mounted and set. Put up a hook to hang the horns from. Do all the little things like that, and get the gear in place. Put anything you can in its place. And leave it there over night.

The next morning when you walk in all you will have is your pack , your bow, and the decoy. The video camera should be in your pack. When you get to your area, find the engineering tape and place the decoy. Go up the tree and place the camera, and you are ready to hunt.

Leave it like this until you need to change locations, and set up the same way the evening before at the new location.

Good luck

Old 11-03-2006, 09:31 AM

So MichealT. what you are saying is you go and fill your spot with your scent the night before you hunt it.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I cant say I would go in the night before. I'd use a bad pack and a Montana decoy....rattle bag may be easier to carry....Maybe you need to start hunting from Lock-on stands??? To free up some space?? Good Luck and let us know what you go with??
Old 11-03-2006, 10:28 AM

Well Ive got 8 or 9 loc on stands throughout our property, but now that the prerut is kicking I am moving around a lot with my climber, I isially wont carry my climber in in the morning, If I move to a new spot, I take my climber in the afternoon, hunt it, and then leave it and come back in the morning, I usually try to video and call in the mornings, I havent had as much luck with it in the evening, so I usually just hunt quietly till dark. I do think Im going to get a rattle bag and try it.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Sometimes I wonder if I am carrying in too much stuff, but after reading your post Angus, you clearly are wrestling with more gear than I am.

I'm not carrying video equipment or a decoy. I have been carrying a set of 10 pt rattling antlers whichI tie together and strap on my fanny pack or I'll tie the horns together and carry them over my shoulder by the thin rope.

I think you need one more thing in your arsenal though...a hunting buddy...as you eluded to, someone to help carry gear and then do some filming! Happy hunting!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand 3d decoys work better then 2d folding decoys. But that would be one suggestion. I also substitute the rattling horns for a rattle bag. I wear a camo fanny pack that holds my grunt call,the can, rattle bag, knife, flashlight, binocs, and cell phone. If I want to use a decoy, I have one made by Renzo, that folds up. It is quick, quiet, and I think effective. I haven't used it alot alot, but I've had two bucks come in to it, and have had does licking it.

Quick Reply: How do you guys do it???!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.