Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what do you think i should do? >

what do you think i should do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you think i should do?

Old 11-02-2006, 05:22 PM

Default what do you think i should do?

i found a place on a friends property that has definate signs of a buck. the first time i went there which was last week i found 4 really good scrapes and a rub on a tree that is 6-7 inches in diameter. this size tree i think its prolly a shooter buck and its rubbed slick. i go up there to put buck pee in his scrapes every three days and usually hunt out of a stand with my bow over these. every time i go back he has been there making more scrapes. he has made 6 more new ones since the first time i went there. ive hunted it 4 times now and all ive saw is a bob cat. ive hunted both mornign and evening and havent even saw a doe. im not sure what to do in this situation please give some advice.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 PM

Default RE: what do you think i should do?

He's either hitting those scrapes in the night hours or in midday hours. Monitor it for a few days hunting both morning and evening and figure out when he's working them. It's critical to find out which way he's coming from and roughly when? Try hunting midday a little bit, that should give you a better idea when he's working them.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:02 PM

if hes workin the middle of the day it will have to be between 11-1:45 cause ive hunted all other hours of the day
Old 11-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had success setting up over a natural scrape. I would find his bedding area and set up an ambush.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where is the rub & scape line going to? Does it lead to food or a bedding area? Answer these questions and maybe you can find a better location for a stand. If you can't answer it then Placse a scent line down and sit all day. (If you can)Good Luck
Old 11-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

if you got a trail camera put it out over the largest scrape. You will at least see if he a shooter and when hes comming to work them.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:16 PM

Well, I love to hunt in the mornings, and I love to hunt in the evenings. If I have been doing that and Have not seen him , then I would hunt during the mid day too. So I would get there before day break, and hunt till dark, and find out when he is coming in. If he doesn't show during a couple of all day hunts, then he is probably hitting them at night.

I love to hunt all day when I can. But it is not for everyone. But if you decide you want to try, take some easy foods like jerkey, fruit, slices of bread, peanut butter crackers, and water. You don't want to get hungry, and those foods are easy and filling. It really will help to keep you focused.

Good luck

Old 11-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Not giving us enough information to fill in the blanks. BUT, you're hunting night time activity. Without knowing I bet you're huntinga field edge or within sight of it.(or you're not hunting the wind) That many scrapes is probably more than one buck. See if you can figure out a line and where he's coming from or going to. I bet you can find a rub line/scrape line running away from the clearing(field or cutover) back into his lair. You just have to find it. Follow it back 3 or 400 hundrd yards and hang a stand. Hunt it only with the correct wind and you'll see him. You don't say what state you're in. Most areas are starting or within a week will be in full rut. Those scrapes will dry up as the bucks stop advertising and start following the hot does. In a couple more weeks when the does are all bred they'll hit the scrapes again advertising for that last doe.