Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 8-Point Buck Hit.....Question???? >

8-Point Buck Hit.....Question????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

8-Point Buck Hit.....Question????

Old 11-02-2006, 04:57 PM

Default RE: 8-Point Buck Hit.....Question????

id say the buck will be able to survive the only reason i would think that he wouldnt is if there are a lot of predatory animals where you hunt because most of the time they will kill the wounded first becasue its easier.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Yea there isnt much around for predetors, so hopefully he'll be alright till i get another crack at him...might take a while for him to be coming in again at night but theres only one way to find out
Pat
Old 11-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

About 5 years ago I'm heading back to the shack for lunch, when I find that my trail is covered with blood, and somebody elses tracks. I figure, ut oh, one of the guys must have wounded one, so I figure I'll follow the tracks, and help out! Well, it turned out to be one of the guys from the shack up across the river!
Being the nice guy I am, I decide to help the 65yr old guy, who had been on thetrail for3 hrs! It was 11am, and I was with the guy for about 20 yds before the deer jumped out of the brush and ran straight away offering neither of us a good shot! Fast forward to 3:30 pm, we are still on the trail and the deer is falling every 10yds, I tell the guy we are close as I see blood still running down a branch! 10 more steps, and the deer jumps, but just stands there,we both get a quick shotoff and the deer drops!!! I double lunged him, and the old timer broke his neck! Anyway, when we got up to the deer we realized that all the old timer did was hit him right above the hoof on the front left leg!! We only bumped him from a bed once, the deer left a good blood trail all day long, and I am 99% sure that the deer would have died from the injury!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

I think he will be fine, after all who needs 4 legs? or even 3? look at this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_5MANcMxXc4
Old 11-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 8-Point Buck Hit.....Question????---UPDATE

So i went back first thing this morning to take a look around...had a fresh skiff of snow last nite which didnt help any, no blood no tracks, however a wolf had been through early this morning so i followed his tracks through to see if it led to the bucks carcass but nothing so that could be a good sign....ill go and sit tonite see what happens.
Pat
Old 11-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Sometimes they die, this one did after a VERY sparse 500 yard blood trail. Hit the leg bone flush. He ran away like nothing happened, and then I heard his leg break after about 4 bounds, still ran away on 3 legs. You can see the bent arrow on the bow in the background. Found him piled up the next morning...this was my best/hardest recovery on a deer.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since deer don't think logically, he doesn't understand what happened. All he knows is that his leg doesn't feel normal. I'm sure he'll be back to his old ways before long, unless he passed from the wound. Get dog and see if you can find him, would be my advice.

Another subject, but a coworker brought in a deer that he shot on the run with a 30.30 a few years ago. It only ran about 20 yards after the shot before falling dead. The only bullet hole on the deer was through the ear, and not the inner ear at all. I'm pretty sure he died of a hear attack from being shot at!