Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ground hunting with bow >

Ground hunting with bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground hunting with bow

Old 10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ground hunting with bow

I know most of you use tree stands. But i would like to hear from those of you that hunt with a bow from the ground. I bought a bow this year and was looking for tips and suggestions for bowhunting from the ground.
I have the cloth blinds that i will be putting around me. usually find a couple of trees to wrap them around and climb in.
Do any of you guys have any luck while hunting from the ground?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ground hunting with bow

I hunt a lot in stands and on the ground. I hunt out of a blind and love it. Most of the time I set up on a small food plot that I have seen deer on many times. Ifiam rattling then I perfer hunting on the ground. To me it just seems like it would be a little more realistic plus you can scrape around on the ground a little.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

i hunt on the ground a lot. usually i either try to find a tree with lots of cover around or get up on top of a small hill that looks over some trails. hunting from the ground doesnt affect how many deer i see, but you have to be more careful and pay more attention to the wind direction.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Watch the wind and it can be amazing nothing better than a ten yd shot nose to nose with a brute. When all those pins are in the kill zone your close. P.s. wear lots of clothes so he don't hear your heart!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:38 PM

I would recommend that you wear a Ghillie top (assuming that you are using a ground blind). Last year, I had a 6 point buck broadside from me at about 30 yards...I was holding out for a bigger buck . He had no clue that I was there, I just blended into the surroundings. I just moved very slow and all was good. Another thing that I would suggest is that you use the Dead down wind products...I have had extremely good luck with this stuff. Do a search and you will find a review of it.

Regards,

GS
Old 10-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

99% of the time I hunt out of permanent stands. But if it is windy out, I can't help but be constantly looking around at every noise. It drives me crazy. So, I get down at that point, take my best guess at where the deer are, use the wind in my favor and sneak up on them.

To be honest though, I've never been able to take a deer this way with a bow, but you always seem to learn something about them while you're sneaking through their area.

My other favorite, which I don't get to do very often is to stalk them in the snow. Especially about a one or two inch quiet snow. You can see a bucks tracks due to him dragging his feet. But any deeper and doe tracks will appear to be doing the same thing.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Spike

Today i just started hunting on ground and missed a nice 4 point so i suggest hunting on ground.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive had horrible succes from the ground, i sat up against a tree and every deer saw me right away.

i guess that only works with turkeys
Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I only hunt on the ground and have been very successful. I like to set up at a tree large enough to conceal me while drawing my bow. I clear the leaves from around the entire base of the tree which allows me to move 360 degrees around it, in silence, while keeping the tree between me and the deer. Scent control is extremely important as well as hunting with the wind in your favor. I also use a screw-in bow hanger. And last, but not least, when I move, it's very slowly. The trick is seeing the deer before it see's you! If you do, the odds are in your favor. Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

I only hunt on the ground and have been very successful. I like to set up at a tree large enough to conceal me while drawing my bow. I clear the leaves from around the entire base of the tree which allows me to move 360 degrees around it, in silence, while keeping the tree between me and the deer. Scent control is extremely important as well as hunting with the wind in your favor. I also use a screw-in bow hanger. And last, but not least, when I move, it's very slowly. The trick is seeing the deer before it see's you! If you do, the odds are in your favor. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Ground hunting with bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.