Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spine shots

Old 10-30-2006, 01:10 PM

Default Spine shots

Over the past few years I have been doing a lot of target shooting and I consider myself a pretty decent shot with a bow. I am, however, pretty new to hunting. Today I was ground hunting for white tail deer (I don't like treestands) and lured an 8 point buck to within 20 yards with a can that sounds like a doe bleating and this stuff that smells like apples. The grass was high and covered the vital area so I decided to take a spine shot. I didn't aim a the neck but rather the portion of the spine right above the vital area. The shot was perfect and the buck dropped like a rock. I ran over and slit it's throat with my knife to ensure the quickest death possible. At first I was proud of myself because I made a difficult shot but then I realized that if I had been off by about two inches I could have dealt a non fatal blow to the poor animal. I don't think I'll ever take another spine shot again-- with a bow, crossbow or even a gun. Anyone have similar experiences?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spine shots

Not on purpose. You shouldn't either, aim for the pump house. Congrats on your buck.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your buck andi think it is a smart decision not to try that again.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, I wouldn't do it on purpose either. But anyways, do you have any pictures to share with us?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 PM

alas, i do not have a digital camera. Would you really want to see a picture of a deer that has already been field dressed anyway
Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Yeah....I wanna see it. I smell a troll.

If I'm wrong...I'm wrong.....but a picture is worth a 1,000 words!

Jeff
Old 10-30-2006, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Yeah....I wanna see it. I smell a troll.

If I'm wrong...I'm wrong.....but a picture is worth a 1,000 words!

Jeff
So I am a troll, am I? Tell you what. I'll invite a friend who has a camera phone over to see the deer tonight. I'm sure I can figure out how to get pictures from the phone onto the web. Is there any particular pose you would like the deer to be in?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Not a smart shot - but in the heat of the moment we can make some bad decisions - glad everything turned out well and congrats on your buck!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I like the one when the hunter looks like he's actually mating the deer.

yeah.....I'd like to see that one.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

"I've got a low spot in the back yard of my lakefront home. Do you think introducing hydrilla to the low area would help decrease the moisture?"

"I love catching fish. I lov eit so much......that when I catch mountain trout.....I sometimes release them back......still attached to the hook....so that I can catch them, again. Does anyone else do this?"

I aimed for the apineon a recent shotat a deer. Anyone have similar experiences?

If I asked you which one of these wasn't a troll question......could you tell me???

I'm not calling YOU a troll.....I implied your question was "trollish".

Jeff

Quick Reply: Spine shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.