Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Interesting Scent Control Idea. >

Interesting Scent Control Idea.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting Scent Control Idea.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Interesting Scent Control Idea.

I had a guy I work with tell me about a gentleman in his area who swears by this. This guy 2 weeks prior to the season opening stops eating meat until he has filled all of his tags. He says that the native americans used to do this because the deer could smell meat eaters and as a natural defense they avoid us carnivores. I guess he thinks the meat causes our bodies to give off some kind of odor. It sounds crazy at first but once you think about it, there may be something too this who knows, I've heard crazier things. I have never heard of such a thing before. I don't know if this guy uses any other scent control practices. Like I said this is just something someone told me they heard. I know I could never go without meat until I filled all of my tags. Just thought it would make for some good conversation. So has anyone heard of this?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:58 AM

Default RE: Interesting Scent Control Idea.

Yeah, I have heard of it before. A few of the really serious old timers up here do it.
Personally, I would believe that maybe certain proteins within the meat would cause a different body odor. I have eaten certain very strong middle eastern sausages, and I noticed that after eating them when I sweat you can kinda pick up on the odor of the spices on my body.
But, with all that said, I would not do it. For one, I went vegetarian once, when I was in my "living alternative" phase. It lasted about two months, and finally I gave in and had a king cut of prime rib, my favorite. Long story short, I threw up for about a day straight. Apparently, and I might be wrong here, your body needs to get used to eating meat again.
Secondly, if you play the wind, you dont have to worry about it. I still am a firm believer that the total elimination of human odors is unattainible. You would have to eliminate the odor on your bow, arrows (think of how nasty fletching glue smells when you put it on the arrow, you dont think a deer could pick that up?), and all your other accessories
Anyway, that is my humble opinion.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:16 AM

I agree there may be something to this. I know if I eat a lot of garlic and onions I can smell it coming out of me when I sweat. Like I said before I never heard of it before. And supposedly the guy who does this is some kind of mountain man/hermit who lives alone in a shack. I for one could never give up meat. There is nothing better than a good steak.
Campo by you saying your "living alternative" phase don't you really mean HIPPIE phase.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just eat venison so you smell like a deer[:-].
Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 AM

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods
Campo by you saying your "living alternative" phase don't you really mean HIPPIE phase.
Yeah...my hippie phase.
I was still pro-hunting though!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would have to fill my tags in a hurry. No meatfor very long would suck.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: txrookie
No meat for very long would suck.
Especially seeing my favorite vegetable is steak.

I have heard the same thing before, not sure if I give it a very high rank on the 'believability scale' though
Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

I saw on the History or discovery channel that the indians would not have "physical contact" with their women several days before a big hunting trip because of smell.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:07 AM

I know I had this Japanese girlfriend that was a vegatarian and she could smell the meat on us "big noses".
Old 10-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy does it and honestly I hate it. It really disrupts things like I have to cook for myself and he doesn't sit near me when I eat. He thinks it works, I think it's bull$hit. We both see deer and I've seen deer when he hasn't. BTW - I eat more meat than most, several lbs per day even while hunting.

Tom

Quick Reply: Interesting Scent Control Idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.