Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 About ready to give up >

About ready to give up

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

About ready to give up

Old 10-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default About ready to give up

I had a terrible day in the woods, and im seriously starting to doubt my ability as a hunter. I was sitting in my stand for about an hour and a half when i heard something coming from behind me, but instead of standing up and getting ready for the shot, i just sat there. well sure enough 2 yearlings walked out of the woods, 1 of which went to my salt lick, the other went and stood behind some trees, with just his little button buck head sticking out. now i couldnt stand up because the doe fawn at the salt lick was facing me, and the button buck was lookin all around the whole time. as im sitting there trying to figure out what to do, another yearling doe came walking out of the woods from the same spot, and went straight to the salt lick. I would have been happy to take any of these deer, as i have to tag a doe before i can get a buck and the rut is comin up fast, but i would have been happier with the button cuz he was bigger, and i dont plan on hunting that area for 4-5 more years (cuz of college) and im not too worried about the deer herd in that area. but when he decided to start walkin away and both does heads were down i started to stand up very slowly, and both does' heads shot up and looked right at me, frozen half standing half sitting. they looked at me for a while then put their heads down and i started standing again and they looked up at me then bolted. As they were runnin i drew back just in case they stopped, and realized just how loud my draw is, mostly because of my rest. Even if i would have been able to stand up, im sure they would have bolted when they heard me draw. Sorry for the long post, i just really needed to vent, i was so frustrated i packed up and stormed out of the woods with 20 minutes of shooting light left. I'm beginning to wonder if i cant fool some yearlings, how could i fool a mature doe or buck? I'll be getting a bonus this week from work, and plan on spending some of it on a new rest. right now im shootin a 2 prong rest w/ moleskin on the prongs, and its still real loud. any suggestions on a quiet rest in the $30-40 range? thanks again for lettin me vent, good luck the rest of the season
Old 10-29-2006, 05:03 PM

Default RE: About ready to give up

Whisker Biscuit all the way. It's about $34 at Wal-Mart. I love it because it alleviates the problem of the arrow falling off the rest as well as it is almost noise free.

Don't doubt yourself, some deer are just more skittish than others, I would suggest taking a look behind you earlier though, just use slow movement to do so.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I can add is don't wait until your hunting to find out your equipments not right. You should have all the bugs worked out before you ever get in the woods. Sounds like you need to get a little more dedicated and you luck should turn around.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say you had a bad day. I'd say you had a learning experience, and a reality check. For 1 I'm not sure why you didn't standup before they came in. Only you know, but if by chance you were daydreaming. We all have done it. It shows how you need to pay attention at all times, and only sit for short periods. Stand as much as you can. 2nd you should've known if your rest was noisy before hunting with it. Thats just preparation with your setup. It seems odd a 2 prong rest with moleskin would be loud on the draw. But if thats the case like you say I'd definitly look to a better rest. Perhaps a drop away like QAD's Hunter Rest $45 or Carolina's Whisker Biscuit. Those are just a couple of many.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Spike

dont give up, its a learning experience. justlearn from your mistakes.also try to practice shooting in a seated position so if this happens again your ready.

the reason you arrow rest is noisy is thatyour moleskin is worn out on the tip of the prongs. several years ago that was happening to me. i just put some electrical tape on the tips and it quieted the noise from the arrow dragging on the arrow rest. its not a long term thing to do but it helped until i got my drop away. with my drop away i dont have to replace anything on the prongs. make sure thatif you place some tape that it dontcatch the vanes as the arrow passes the prongs.happy hunting.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the advice jay, i dont think its cuz the moleskin is worn out, cuz i just put it on a couple weeks ago and havent shot much since then. i'll try the electrical tape before i get a new rest though, id hate to have to change my setup this close to the rut.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try practicing sitting down. I never stand to shoot a deer.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:13 PM

LOL, I never sit to shoot a deer! We all have different preferences in hunting though. I guess I don't take sitting shots because I haven't practiced them, but next year I will probably work on that and kneeling shots, just to broaden my horizons.

I agree, take it as a learning experience. Do your best to work the bugs out before you go out for that first hunt.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try practicing sitting down. I never stand to shoot a deer

I always cut my shooting lanes to where I can shoot setting down. Minimizes my movement and I feel like I am hidden more.

Don't quit! You learned a lot and if you make the necessary changes, you will become a better hunter because fo this experience.

Bow hunting is a humbling expereince! good luck.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:36 PM

funny cause i always set my stand up with the back of the stand towards where i think deer will come from. so if i have to stand or say a salt lick was in front of me the tree will be to my front giving me cover. lol if that makes sense. everytime i have ever had my front faceing the deer where i could shoot sitting i get busted. I usually use this in a multiple trunk tree or with others near me that give me all the cover i need to move if needed. It works for me but eveyone has their own way of doing things. Plus im starting to think my woodland camo standard issue sucks. lol I had a buck stare at me in acu's he kept on walkin same buck seen me in woodland and he bolted lol?

Quick Reply: About ready to give up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.