Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Comfort Level Breached... >

Comfort Level Breached...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Comfort Level Breached...

Old 10-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Spike

Default Comfort Level Breached...

I recently have encountered something that has really hurt my comfortability with hunting by myself. I've found out we have bear, on both locations which I hunt. One we have on the trail camera and the other property the neighbor has seen two different bears. I've been hunting 8 years and have never been exposed to bear, and most recently the bear population in the area has been rising drastically. It was just a few years ago that it was rare tohear of a bear siting, now its a common occurance and because of this I don't know what to think. I know there are some of you which have experienced and or live in areas where there are bear, and I just have a few questions. One, should Ihave this uncomfortable feeling when entering the woods in the dark, is there really anything to worry about?My stand is just off a logging road, so I do not use a flashlight, which makes it worse. Second, if I should worry about this what needs to be done to give me more confidence in entering the woods? I don't want to carry a pistol or anything like that, mainly because I don't have one, well my dad does, but he basically tells me I don't have to worry about it (bear) because they hear or smell you and are gone.Sorry so long, but this has become a large hinderance, so please, share your knowledge.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Comfort Level Breached...

I have hunted in "black bear country" all my life and have never had a bad encounter, yet. I have read stories about mama bears climbing up to tree stands when passing below hunters and one that climbed the tree opposite of a hunter trying to get after him and he had to shoot it in self defense. Seems that mama bear is aggresive when with cubs. I hunt on the ground and I do carry a .45 auto when bow hunting. Only once have I walked up on a black bear, while hunting (spring gobbler). We looked at each other for a few seconds and I slowly continued walking away from it and he went back to eating some berries. He didn't run but he didn't seem a bit worried about me either. I always look for signs of bear where I am hunting and have great respect for them, especially mama bear. I don't hunt them because I don't care much for the meat.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only time you have to worry about an attack is if your inbetween a sow and her cubs .
Bears have a great sense of smell and there hearing is good too but there eyeshight is poor , with that said if a bear happens to hear or smell you they'll make every effort to avoid you.
Theres is a product on the market for hunters its a pepper spray thats made for bears , this is a very strong pepper spray .
I'm not sure where you can get it but I know it works , once its sprayed at the bear and this spray gets in it's nose the bear will run like the dickens .
You might want to get some of this spray to give your self a sense of security , good luck to ya and be safe out there.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Spike

I've hunted in Black Bear country for years and haven't had a single encounter. When I was 12 my brother and I took a ride down to a small pond my dad had made with me on the handle bars. We rounded the corner by the pond to see a large black bear there. Before I new it my brother took off leaving me behind but I think I actually passed him up on foot on the way up the hill. I looked back and the bear was running just as fast the other way. Having said that I won't be too concerned about it. Just don't get between mother and cubs.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt where there's alot of Black bears and i was 10 feet away from one and i never knew it till i looked up. It never cared that i was there but i sure was scared. If i were you i'd just carry a knife. I feel alot more protected when i carry a knife in the woods with me. And if i were you i'd buy some Radio's or walkie talkies as some people call them. I dont think you'll have a problem unless the sow has cubs. THen you better do something fast.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted many years among the large bear population in Pike county PA. Hard to find a more densly populated area of black bears. I had many encounters with them both during hunting season and inthe off season. The only time I was really concerned is when I once walked up on one in the dark on the way to my stand... bow in hand... barely lite.... could just make out what he was.... and he was feeding on the body of a downed deer. That was the only time I was face to face with one where the bear did not turn and head off away from me. Usually they see you or hear you like the other replies have stated, and are quickly moving away from you. Hope you reagain your comfort zone and relax and enjoy the season.
DW
Old 10-29-2006, 07:26 AM

I was going to suggest that you get some of the pepper spray, but RD has already beat me to it. That is going to be your best defence against a bear, but you will need to keep it handy. It won't do you any good if you have it in the bottom of a pack, when you need it. Get the belt holster, or have a pocket in your clothes, designated for it and it only. That way you can check that pocket and know if it is being forgotten. The chanch that you will ever need it is slim, but the reassurance that you have it will bring your comfort level back to you.

Good hunting and God Bless

Old 10-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is very unlikely(very) that you will ever have a difficulty with a black bear.Like others have said if you happen to be between mama and her cubs she will not be very happy and depending upon how she perceives you she could pop her jaws or bluff charge.We have a pretty healthy black bear population in the catskill mountains(New York)and I have never encountered any difficulty,never had one pop it's jaws or bluff charge.They see you or smell you or hear you and they go the other way quickly.

Last year I killed a bear during the archery season,as I went over to begin field dressing it upon being about 10 yards away from it,I looked through the woods and about 40yards away was a big boar (my estimate of 300 to 350lbs) the boar was feeding and had no idea I was there.So here I am standing next to the bear I just killed (225lb sow,age 9 3/4s)and I am not feeling to great about these circumstances.It was foolish on my part because I was thinking that boar might object territorially to how close I was to the bear I killed.I ended up scuffing my feet in the leaves to get his attention,upon seeing me he took off as if he was on fire.They want no part of us! If pepper spray would bring you some comfort than that is what I would do.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

heres what you need, bear mace, youll never need to be nervous again
http://www.personalarms.com/mace_pepper_spray/mcaebearspray.htm

Old 10-29-2006, 10:29 AM

I have the same fear, I don't have to worry about it here in Indiana, but up at my father in law's place (where I will be hunting in 3 weeks), I will be nervous. Luckily my husband will be with me, so I won't be quite as nervous. It will also help that I will have a gun in my hands rather than a bow! LOL

Hubby wants us to take a black bear hunt in the next couple of years and I am nervous about this. From what he tells me, the guides take you to your spot and leave you there! YIKES! I think I will be acquiring some of that pepper spray before that hunt! LOL

Mostly from what my father in law has told me and from what I have observed on hunting programs, the bear don't seem to be a threat. Brown and grizzly maybe, but black bears keep to themselves unless they feel you are going to harm their young. I've watched them climb up a hunter's tree and lick his boot before (on tv). The guy was laughing about it, so I guess there really isn't much threat! LOL

Quick Reply: Comfort Level Breached...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.