HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is it possible to "over-scent?" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/161979-possible-over-scent.html)

jmjuergensen 10-27-2006 10:52 AM

Is it possible to "over-scent?"

I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were about using too much scent. The season opens in MN next weekend, so I'm getting pretty pumped. We were up last weekend to do one last scouting trip and set up the stands. We also hung a day-time scent dripper with hopes of keeping the bucks in the area for the day time. However, we also purchased a couple cans of Buck Bomb and were thinking about using a drag rag when going out there.

Would we be using too much scent? What if they are different brands? The scent drippers have Active Scrape in them. What if we use a scent different than Active Scrape on the drag rag? Will having the Buck Bomb and the Scent Dripper hurt each other? thanks in advance.

waltwittman 10-27-2006 10:58 AM

RE: Is it possible to "over-scent?"

of course you can over scent... too much sent and they're going to know something is not right. plus in order to put all of that scent out you've got to go out and place it, which in turn places all of your scent out.
scents rarely work, if you're going to try some type of scent do it sparingly. once the shooting starts deer aren't going to come running into your scents; if anything use it to get a deer to stop in a shooting lane.
where are you hunting? i'm up inbemidji...
anyways, good luck

jmjuergensen 10-27-2006 11:01 AM

We've actually got some land near Leech Lake, just east of Walker.

So what would your advice be about the scents? Would you even bother with the drag rag or the Buck Bomb? If we use the drag rag, should we get the same type of scent that is in the scent dripper?

Thanks in advance.

walters444hunt 10-27-2006 12:47 PM

yes if you smell food cooking when you get home and you no no one has been there what would you think

RTA47 10-27-2006 12:53 PM

Ever been around a woman that had on to much perfume[:'(]
(Yes you can use to much)

Killer_Primate 10-27-2006 12:53 PM

I'd run over to the kitchen to find it!

And end up on some bucks wall! Actually I probably wouldn't be a wall hanger!

Campo 10-27-2006 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: walters444hunt

yes if you smell food cooking when you get home and you no no one has been there what would you think
Ummmmmmmmm[&:]
Yes, it is possible to over scent.

jmjuergensen 10-27-2006 01:27 PM

So what would your advice be about the scents? Would you even bother with the drag rag or the Buck Bomb? If we use the drag rag, should we get the same type of scent that is in the scent dripper?

jmjuergensen 10-27-2006 08:38 PM

bump.