Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why bait?

Old 10-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why bait?

Can't bait here in MA, but in a state with a 6% success rate I might if I could. The best argument against it seems to be related to CWD in those area's that have the problem. Something about eating out of the samebait pile spreading the desease. To each his own if it's legal.
>>>>>>>>>>Whack!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:21 AM

I bait on my private spots later in the year and hunt public area's for the big guys where baiting is illegal. You've got to really want it to get to some of these Godforsaken area's. (Can't bait on state land in DE). So does that mean that I'm unethical only half the time? Bait = doe population control method, in a state where crop damage permits are issued to registered farms from August to March. Baiting can also help new hunters; those not nearly expierenced as yourself;have more opportunities and interaction and develop the passion the rest of us have. Is a Thompson Center Omega with a Nikon Omega Scope with reticlesup to 250yds ethical? Do what you do and leave the rest of us alone - I've had to erase about 15 lines of text already and I've got to get out of the house on this crappy, rainy, windy, day -Maybe I'll go shoot my baited ducks today.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Did some more research, and was messaged by another hunter from hunting.net.

I may have used bad choice of words but I will say now, that I don't think it's ethical to all hunters. It maybe right to do in certain situations with certain types of hunters, but all in all I don't agree with it. That's final. I know many may disagree but that's ok with me.

I hunt how I want to hunt, you hunt how you want to. I don't bait, I wouldn't if I could either.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:04 PM

Stealth,

Thank You. Thats all anyone ever askes for is respect enough from others to say my personal choice is no. I understand your personal choice is yes. I do not agree, but I will not try to pass judgement on you. We can all get along fine , if we will just respect our differences.

My childern love to go out hunting with me. And huntingNEAR a corn feeder ( about 200 yards away ) is best for them. At least for a few more years. But that is when my responsibility to teach them kicks in. I can also see it for persons with disabilities. Real Disabilities, not the sham kind, where the man parks in the handicapped parking spot, then takes of running to get in the store, because it is raining.

Anyway, I appreciate you having the frotitude to come back to the post and state your thoughts,whilealso respecting us enough to understand if we disagree with some of what you believe.

Good luck and Good hunting,

God Bless.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

deer know where the food sources are and if a food source just pops up in the middle of the woods there like wtf is this and they know sumthing is up at least fron my experience but i all so collect all the acorns i can find and put them in a pile and i buy a bag of corn and dump it buy my stand just to make it seem more real the deer in my hunting woods drag corn all over the place from the field... i find it all the time
Old 10-29-2006, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

I bait, always have, except the years it was banned here in WI. i just wanna make a few points... 1 the land i have access to hunt isnt farm country, its swamps and maple forests, not much for major feeding areas where i can consistantly see deer every morning and evening. 2 my dad and granddad grew up hunting the hard way, that is staying up til about 4 playin cards and talkin smart, then gettin up before light, makin a sandwich, and doin deer drives through the cedar swamps all day, but once my dad started baiting probably 15-20 years ago he has seen so many more deer and im sure he enjoys hunting alot more. 3 We dont bait intensively, we have actually been cutting back these last few years because the years we couldnt bait we saw alot more deer and alot more bucks, not becuase we patterned the deer better and put our stands in different spots, as most of our stands are permanent, but because the deer werent hitting out bait piles at night and sleeping all day. 4 this year we plan on keepin the limit toa coffee can of bait whether it be corn or apples per day. This should be enough to get the scent out and get the deer movin, but not so much food that they can fill up in 5 minutes at 3 AM then head back to their beds. The deer density in the area we hunt is pretty low, i dont know any numbers for sure, but since we got wolves, turkeys, and bears in the area also, the deer numbers have suffered. IMO there arent many things more disappointing than sitting in a stand all day seeing nothing bigger than a squirrel. Bait helps to get the deer moving in a place where we can get a glimpse of em, and sometimes a shot hopefully. I think i covered it all, I think every1 is entitled to their own opinions, but we gotta ban together and stay united for the ultimate cause, continuing the hunting tradition as we know it for our children, and their children.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will add one more thought to the baiting issue. I have young children. I would like to see some of the people who are so judgemental towards baiting take their child into the middle of the woods and wait for the deer to just happen to come by.
I guess it all depends on what you plan on teaching your kids.
If that's truly the only way you know how to set yourself up to see deer then I can see why you feel so strongly about it.

I prefer to take my son with me the entire year, to look for sheds in the winter, to scout in the summer, and what sign to look for in stand placement.
When the time comes for him to take his first deer it will be because we put in the time and effort for stand placement and not just in the right place at the right time when a deer "just happens to come by".

Are you really helping kids by just putting out bait so they can see deer?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schobs you worded that perfectly. Also where i hunt is all maples and them kind of tree's. We dont have many fields up here and if we do theres already people hunting in them. Lets all just get along and grow up and be friends.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:38 AM

All I have to say is that up here in Wisconsin we are allowed to bait and we do it. Whenever someone brings up the subject about baiting it is always from a state where baiting is not allowed!!!!!! But anyway just for the record I have shot 4 deer (all deer were 2+ yrs.) already this yearover my bait piles and loved every minute of it. With my kids and job I dont have time to run out in the woods and find where every big buck takes a **** nor do I have farmland to hunt on that would enable me to sit on the edge of a field and wait for them to come out. I have to go in the middle of PUBLIC land which is about 20,000 acres. Now on this 20,000 acres I would like to see anyone of you with the same amount of time I have harvest a decent amount of deer without baiting. The size of the woods I hunt in makes it alot harder. It is big country and deer can and willgo anywhere. They have numerous trails and bedding areas that they use. Part of the reason for this is that they have to becauseare always getting kicked around by people. My point is that you can sit on a runway for days and not see a deer because they have many others that they use. I know there are big deer around because we get them during rifle season which by the way we do not bait them during rifle season we make drives. But during bowseason you do not see them because you find a good spot with acorns where they have been feeding there is another spot just like it over the next ridge. It is very difficult to pinpoint where they are going to be so for you people who sit on the edge of a field on a runway and wanna talk big because you dont hunt over bait try going into some bigger woods where there is no field where the deer are sure to come out, kill a big buck, and then you have a right to talk big until then shut the hell up about baiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

My wife is smokin hot. She also had breast augmentation done in '04. I can't tell you the times I've heard men say......"I prefer real breasts"......only to find out that they've never had any experience with augmented. I can tell you from experience with both........I LIKE 'em ALL!

So...what's that got to do with "baiting"? EASY. I get SO sick and tired of people from states where it's ILLEGAL (READ: THEY HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUBJECT MATTER) passing judgement on me for baiting. You don't know my circumstances.....and you DEFINITELY don't know ME.

I bait on ONE parcel I have.......because it's 24 acres....and has VERY LIMITED natural food source(s). It's got some oaks....and 1 persimmon tree......but it is bolstered by 2 creeks and it's a natural corridor. If I didn't bait.......the deer would go somewhere else to nibble. Now......how much do I bait? My timed feeder dispenses for 7 seconds in the morning (about an hour after sunrise)......and dispenses for 10 seconds an hour before sunset. All in all.......I'd say about 3 lbs. a day. That'll sustain about.....oh...I don't know......TWO deer a day (assuming they ate nothing else)?? I don't hunt over the feeder......and next year it'll be replaced by a 1 acre food plot. You know what??? I'm gonna hang stands around the food plot.....and I'll bet you $1K that the food plot will draw in more deer to the SAME area. I can be a REAL hunter, then, huh???? THAT.....will be the decidig factor on my ability as a hunter. I'm glad I'll be recognized by you as such.

On second thought.....I could give a rat's axx what anyone else thinks about what I do legally while taking game in my state (ESPECIALLY if they're from another state). If you shoot a deer legally in your state.....by any legal method......I'll pat your back and help you track it and tak your photos!! KUDOS!! ALL we need is some in-fighting! You're a PETA wet-dream!

And Davidmil......with all due respect to you as a successful hunter.....you really don't know squat about why people around here bait. It's nothing like you imagine it to be. Neither of my '06 deer were taken anywhere near any "bait" (though I was near a stream and acorns on both occasions).

What "I" findsatisfying is people getting on the internet and preaching their drivel to others....in a condescending manner......only to findout they really don't know a damned thing about what they're talking about.

I'm satisfied of that fact, right now.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Why bait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.