HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/161923-your-state-bow-shotgun-only-why.html)

MichaelT. 10-26-2006 11:23 PM

Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY??

I am not familiar with hunting regs. outside of my own state of Arkansas, but I know there are some states that areBow andShotgun only, no modern rifle season. If that is your state, tell me the state, and why it's that way. Also, do you split the season, or just stay with the Bow?

Thanks

God Bless

Bols 10-26-2006 11:29 PM

RE: Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY??

IL, bow and shotgun, then there is also a muzzleloader and a handgun season as well. No modern rifle, at least in my neck of the woods.

Someone more educated could give you a reason why.

I always assumed it was legislation passed down because of Chicago.

But then again, I could be terribly wrong. ;)

Ohh, and to answer you final question, in my county (Grundy), I can't bowhunt during shotgun season. So I am limited to hunting with my shotgun during the twofirearm seasons. Not all counties in IL are like that though, as I was corrected here just a few months ago. :D Don't remember the correct answer though.

So basically, I have lost all my credibility through this post. HA.

goherd1111 10-26-2006 11:41 PM

Bols you are right. IL is bow and shotgun only. Take a look at the deer we have here and that will answer your guys' questions. Some states know how to manage their deer population and some don't. I'm originally from WV and they had a 2 week long rifle season during the rut. Talk about putting a damper on the quality of deer. I could sit 300 yards away from a deer and put it down. So could every other redneck running around with a rifle in their hands. Moving to IL made me realize what deer management was. If more states would manage their hunting seasons the right way there could be better deer hunting for all of us to enjoy.

DaveH 10-27-2006 02:37 AM

MD is mostly bow, shotgun and muzzleloader. There are a few remote places where rifles are allowed, but none of the suburban areas allow them.

It doesn't matter to me - I hunt deer with a bow exclusively for ALL the seasons. I just scored again on Monday(for the 5th consecutive year) during a gun season using a bow.

SPIKEHORN11 10-27-2006 03:35 AM

NY is that way. Well most of southern and western. Its because of population. Some counties have recently changed but many are still bow,shotgun(single projectile),handgun and muzzleloader.

The northerntier allows rifle.The county I hunt in just cjanged to allow rifles but I can't see to put my Rem. 1100 in the safe. I have used it too many years and killed too many deer with it.

tschaef 10-27-2006 04:19 AM

As you should be aware Ontario is absolutely huge, so its broken up into WMUs (wildlife management uses). Some areas are bow only, some bow only with a controlled hunt (a shotgun only hunt that you have get drawn in a lottery to participate), and some ares have a two week rifle season.

As far as I can tell its mainly the populated areas, cottage country, and areas that have a major highway running thru it that don't allow rifle - safety reasons I guess.

Chuck7 10-27-2006 04:23 AM

No sir...
Rifle
pistol
crossbow
bow
B.P.
shotgun

I reside in Florida

db2573 10-27-2006 04:23 AM

There are also small parts of New York that only allow bow hunting.

Bob H in NH 10-27-2006 06:26 AM

Parts of NH are shotgun only (well bow and muzzleloader too). Mostly the south eastern corner. Due primarily to areas that are small patches of woods/farm surrounded by houses.

bmarleyzq8 10-27-2006 07:18 AM

In southeast michigan and the thumbwe have a bow season, shotgun/muzzeloader, and muzzeloader only. But if you are in the more northern region of the state, you can use rifles during shotgun season.