Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY?   WHY?? >

Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY??

Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 AM

Default RE: Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY??

Indiana is bow/shotgun/muzzleloader No rifles here.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in Texas, and there is a bow only season for one month, then there is general season for the next two. During the general season, you can use anything. I haven't ever hunted deer with a shotgun...I either use a rifle or a bow. I guess that it is this way becuase there is a lot of wide open land in Texas (Texas has a ranch, the King Ranch, that is bigger than the state of Rhode Island), so rifles are allowed a lot more. I really have no clue why the set up the regulations the way they did. I personally like the bow / shotgun only idea. You can see a big, big difference in the way the deer act when the rifle hunters enter the woods!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:50 AM

I always assumed that the reason for IL being shotgun only was because of the flat openess and the high number of rural residences.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Virginia the terrain/population determines what weapons are allowed, but we have a wide variety of landscapes. Shotgun and bow only on the coastal plains. Muzzle loader and rifle begin to appear on the western side of the piedmont. Anything goes in the mountains.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Where i live in iowa, there is 2 shotgun season, a bow season, and 2 muzzleloader seasons. No rifle season yet, but they are starting in the southern counties i think. I'm not sure why, maybe for safety reasons. There is a TON of guys that go out for shotgun seasons.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Indiana and we don't have a rifle season. We have early bow, then shotgun. A couple weeks after that we have about a week of muzzleloader, then late archery. I think we don't have a rifle season is because their are a lot of hunters out there and it is a matter of safety. Rifles can shoot a lot farther and during the season many hunters are in the woods. Shotguns also make it more challenging. You have to be within 100 yards to get one with a shotgun. A rifle is to easy because you can takea deer at 400 yards and sometimes farther. I mainly hunt with my bow but our shotgun season is only 2 and a half weeks long. So you have more opportunities with a bow.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Ohio is a bow and shotgun season only because we all know that rifles are the cheapest way to hunt deer. I'm glad I didn't get raised in a state that allowed rifle hunting and that's what I hunted with. I love bow hunting, and that's what I'm going to always do.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only hunt with bow, althoughI used to black powder with a Hawken .50 that I built. Well, built from a kit I should say. I think it is no rifle because the hillbillies shoot enough of each other in shotgun season. A rifle would just make it worse. I am not calling gun hunters hillbillies, just the ignorant ones who shoot at twitching bushes or anything that moves. It is actaully scary how many people shoot each other every year here.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:26 AM

IL is shotgun only. One would deduce it's because of the population (people not deer). But, you can hunt varmints with a centerfire rifle so there goes that logic.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Because Massachusetts is backwards!!!!

Quick Reply: Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.