Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY?   WHY?? >

Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY??

Old 10-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Default RE: Is your state BOW and SHOTGUN ONLY? WHY??

I live in Arkansas also and what is funny is I have hunted my entire life with rifles and never have I taken a shot farther then 50 yards on a deer. The stand I am in right now I might have a 40 yard shot at best. Anyone can sit accross a field and shoot something.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:17 PM

Ohio is just bow/slug/muzzleloader. I use all 3 it just depends on where I go and how far I might shoot
Old 10-27-2006, 02:22 PM

Kentucky is a great state, we have good deer management here but only because we have a lot of horse farms that you can't hunt and smart deer know where the same areas are. But we can hunt with Bow all season long, black powder have comes in twice for a total of 2 weeks and modern gun is 16 days depend on which zone you are in.A lot of big deer here but a lot of rugged terrian as well!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:35 PM

I could be wrong, but i was told a long time ago, that they do not allow rifle hunting in some states because they feel the terrain is to flat is it would be dangerous.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:01 PM

As two others have said Ohio has no rifle season. They say it is becuase Ohio is flat but I think they say that because it is to easy to tell like it is! Our Bow season runs from first of October to the end of Jan. WE have a one week Shotgun season and that is when all hell breaks loose! I gun hunt and there is alot of guys that do and are good at it so dont take this wrong. But I think the vast majority of guys shotgun hunting shot the gun the last time when they missed or wounded a deer the year before. Every year I shotgun hunt I run into tresspassers and people that just dont care. It is for this reason I think they do not allow rifels in Ohio. You can shot varmits and yotes all you want with whatever you want. But I think the DNR knows it would be bad news if you put a bunch of idiots in the fields throwing lead four feet off the ground that can go 500 yards no problem and hit someone or something. Like I say its ok for varmits because most of the varmit hunters are good shots and are not just throwing bullets around. A week full of guys running around shooting 30-06 bullets would be asking for trouble IMO!