Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I love this game...... long story! >

I love this game...... long story!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I love this game...... long story!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 AM

Default I love this game...... long story!

Hey guys,

Well, my title says it all, I love this game that we as archers play with our opponents (the deer).

This season has been by far my best season to date, I have seen more buck activity that I thought possible. I have had probablly 50 different opportunities to shoot bucks (usually 2-3 every morning and evening hunt). I have been passing up alot of younger bucks waiting for one of the bruisers that I saw all summer.

This week I have been sitting in one of my stands which is in a very open patch of white oaks with yard grass planted on the ground. I had seen several bucks cruising about 30 yards insidethe brush that borders this open spot in the woods. Tuesday I decided that I was gonna put a buddy of mine in that area as he just started archery hunting and I felt confident that he would have an encounter in that spot. I told him that even though we practice strict management in this patch of woods, he could shoot any legal buck since he has never shot a deer before. 8:03 a.m. and I get a text message saying that he hit a buck and to come over. I snuck my way to his stand and he told me that he put a perfect shot on a 5 point. We sat there for about an hour before I decided to go look at his arrow. Sure enough, clean pass through with great blood on the arrow. We started looking for blood but didn't see any. He was getting worried but I made sure to point out that these kicked up leaves were another good indication as to where the deer went. We followed the leaves for about 70 yards and I can honestly say, this deer didn't bleed a drop of blood that I saw! We came upon a clearing that was surrounded by some thick brush and there weren't any leaves to follow. I noticed that there was a freshly broken stick at theedge of the thicket and I pointed it out to him. We headed in there and his trophy was laying 10 yards inside the thicket. He double lunged the buck but it had clotted up and didn't bleed. I have never seen this happen before, there wasn't even any blood on his hide!

Well, yesterday afternoon I decided to sit where he was. I have another stand about 80 yards down from this spot but there was a fresh scrape 20 yards in front of the new stand so I figured I would give it a shot. At 5:15 p.m. the action started as a 4 point and button buck came in. As they were milling around a few doe came in followed by a small racked 2-1/2 year old 8 pt. I watched these deer as they milled around and I just kept seeing more and more deer and then I heard bucks fighting. I watched 3 different buck fights and by the time I climbed out of stand I had seen 7 different bucks and 8 doe (no shooter bucks)!

This morning I decided to sit in that same stand but I just had a odd feeling that I should be in my hang-on stand that is about 80 yards down. At sunrise I did a few grunts and in comes the 4 pt and the button buck from yesterday. They milled around for awhile and when they had left I decided to try hitting my rattle bag, not five minutes later I see movement below me. I put my bino's up and see a large body deer in the brush about 15 yards from my hang-on. As he clears the brush I noticed his rack, a large 8 point (probablly 20" outside spread, long G-2's, decent G-3's, and nice brows). He was walking past my hang on headed away from me. I did a snort wheeze and he threw his head my way, then out of nowhere he took off running away from me. I was bummed to say the least but then I heard crashing from where he had came. I pulled up the bino's and saw yet another big body deer in the brush and as he came into the clearing (yet again, 15 yards from my hang-on), my mouth dropped to the ground, it was him, the wide racked 10 point. My knees were shaking and my heart was pounding. I did a snorth wheeze at him and he was on his way towards me. There was a dead fall between us and he went around the far side of it. He came around the backside and was standing in my shooting lane at 35 yards facing me, at this point he decides to make his own scrape. As I am watching him, I never noticed a big 9 point that came out from where him and the big 8 point did. I saw the wide 10 lift his head and look down there and before I could draw back he took off towards the 9 point and they ran down into the hollow.By 8:30 a.m. I had already seen 4 bucks, and 3 of them were definetly shooters. I sat there awhile and saw a young 8 point running 3 does behind me in the clearing I mentioned earlier.

Its frustrating to sit in stand and watch 3 Pope & Young bucks walk past your other treestand but this is why I love this sport so much, it is a game of chess everytime we step in the woods, and I thank God after every trip into the woods for the chance to be part of the game. I'll be out this evening, this time I'm sitting in my hang-on, who wants to put money on the bucks being up where I had my climber this morning?

Here is the little 4 pt and 8 pt that have been keeping me occupied while in stand, a few more years and the outcome might be different

And for those who don't know about the wide racked 10 point I was referring to, this is the last pics I got of him....

Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM

Default RE: I love this game...... long story!

Great story and great deer.... too bad this a.m. they decided to slap ya up side your head and say checkmate. And yes, they will probably be in front of the other stand this evening. It is enough to make ya scream bloody murder sometimes.

Good luck on your hunt this evening.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

good luck man
Old 10-26-2006, 01:29 PM

Wow...deer in pennsylvania. That awesome. I havent seen a deer since opening day (definition of Depression). Good Luck
Old 10-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

omg that is a wiiddde rack
Old 10-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck Jason. Hope you can get a crack at that wide one. Nothing better than harvesting a buck with a history...
Old 10-26-2006, 02:21 PM

Great story... Many of my most memorable hunts over the years are from when I didn't shoot a deer, just like yours above.

I understand exactly what you mean about the chess match and I gain a sense of satisfaction when I come close but don't close the deal. If it was easy shooting a big deer then there would be no desire to pursue those mature guys. Good luck and yes I bet he comes near the other stand next time!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Dang! What a story! More importantly, what a buck! Good luck Magnet! You really are a Buck Magnet!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're paying your dues and it will pay off for you eventually.Keep the faith, one of these days you'll be in the right place at the right time!

Great story so far, we'll be watching for the next chapter!
Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 PM

atleast u see deer i hunt on 20 acres of property and i hardly see deer even when gun hunting so do u have any ideas that would get more deer in the property

Quick Reply: I love this game...... long story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.