Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did you ever just have a really really good idea? >

Did you ever just have a really really good idea?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you ever just have a really really good idea?

Old 10-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Did you ever just have a really really good idea?

So last night, I'm sitting in my treestand just wasting the evening (and freezing my tail off), thinking about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness when I happened upon what is my most surefire invention idea yet.

Without going too far in-depth, I came up with an idea that could revolutionize hunting as we know it, enablinghunters to stay on stand for hours on end, even in the most harsh winter conditions.

This is no type of enclosure or an article of clothing, but I could use the assistance of some idividual(s) with experience in insulatedclothing design.

Fora faircut of any royalties or profitsderived, I'd be willing to pitch this idea to an upstart or existing company looking to develop a product that would, in my opinion,be a must have for every bowhunter. Just to get an idea, this product would probably sell for $30-50 on the open market, and would not cost much to manufacture. There are approximately 15 million hunters in the United States alone.

As a lot of you guys know, I hunt a lot, and spend almost all my free time outside, and I knowsomething useful when I see it. This is no "Cough Silencer" or "Shrink tubing fletching" gimmick idea. This is a real-world accessory that could be as integral to a hunting outfit as a pair of boots or a winter cap. It would also have potential utility in other outdoor activities (ATV/Construction/etc.)

I know this sounds looney, and I'd probably just pursue it on my own if I had the cash, but unfortunately I do not.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Did you ever just have a really really good idea?

I had a similar sort of "epiphany" recently myself. I'm in the middle of considering what to do with my idea as we speak. A good suggestion I received was to consult a patent attorney, who might be able to help guide you through the process, while retaining both your idea and your share of future profits. Please keep us updated!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quick,

I'd say let me hear it I have the money to back it..unfortunately I would be lying... I just added onto my house this summer.. Flat broke again!

Best of luck!

Troy
Old 10-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please enlighten us. You can't keep us in suspense like that.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:29 PM

Dont do what I did. I invented the internet and that danged ol Al Gore stole my idea. I would be rich right now if it werent for him.

KB
Old 10-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Troy - those construction projectssure can soak ya.Just be gladthat you've got a little know-how and elbow grease of your own to keep the costs down. This is one of those ideas that I know you'd like. One day when I have some time, I'll set down and outline it for ya. I wouldn't mind having your honest opinion on it anyway, just to make sure I wasn't losing my scruples.

Downhill - Patent attorneysdon't come cheap. I think it's best to try to partner with somebody who has experience/expertise in manufacturing, licensing, etc. Just put the feelers out there and see what happens.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Dude........If I could get them girls from Hooters to get scent-free before they snuggle me up in the treestand......I'd have patented it YEARS ago.

They won't.....and I didn't.

Nice try, though.

jeff
Old 10-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I know what it is. It's the humongous whopper giant can.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quik, I've had many great ideas that I did nothing with, only to see the inventions pop up successfully years later (no joke).
I've always regretted not doing anything with the ideas - I encourage you to follow your newfound dream.

Dreams do not come overnight, as a law student you should know that you have to work a little each day towards reaching your dream.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Believe it or not you can patent things yourself. One problem is that so many things have been patented you may already find some form of the idea already covered in another patent. Two, patents are very hard to defend without deep pockets. If a big company comes along and decides to infringe on your patent rights, there's not much you can do without big bucks.

With that said, in order to get a patent your idea must be original and not obvious. To do this, search on-line on the Federal Government's Patent office. It's free a quite interesting. I use to have the link but not anymore. It can't be hard to find. While you're doing this, you could put your thoughts and description down on paper with any drawings you can make. Take those papers, make a copy, keep one for yourself to make adjustments and such, the other one seal in an envelope and mail it to yourself for safe keeping. DON'T OPEN IT, LEAVE IT SEALED. The US Post Office is an official date and time stamp recognized buy the court system should there ever be a question of who came up with the idea first. The on-line search isn't a complete search, the only way you can do a complete search is make the trip to DC or pay 2-3K for an attorney to do it for you. After you are satisfied you have a unique and non-obvious idea, you can fill out and file the paper work yourself, pay the nominal fee and file for the patent.

Good luck! If you are successful try to sell it. You don't need to have the patent when you try to sell it but it helps. You do need to file with in 1 year after you tell anyone or it's free game. Once you do apply for the patent, you can put patent pending on any correspondence with a company as a way to deter them from stealing the idea and bringing it to market without you.

Quick Reply: Did you ever just have a really really good idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.