Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BOOM, head shot? >

BOOM, head shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BOOM, head shot?

Old 10-25-2006, 03:33 PM

Default RE: BOOM, head shot?

I have not shot a deer yet...still looking for #1......and if that was the only shot I had.....I would still be looking for #1.....dumb shot....I'll get mine, but it will be the right way!!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

jeez guys, dont be mad at me, i saw someone do it and asked if it was a good shot to take,
its better than me seeing it and doing it without asking first, now i wont take the shot of course.

and yes it was with a bow, it was a 10 yard shot and the things skull was tore up, with the broadhead sticking out thing other side.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:42 PM

I wasn't being harsh with you, but there are a ton of "young" hunters here (not necessarily in age, but experience). I'd like to do MY part to make sure ethics are kept in check and the rest of us hunters don't get a bad rep for their lack of brains.

I read a new post every day, "New hunter" "help for a new hunter" etc... I would hate to see a "new" hunter think that this is the best way to, or even a reasonableoption to hunt.

If I had to do it to save my life, heck yah, I'm gonna shoot, and the chance of me even hitting it would be next to nil... unless I got Monster Boy 10 charging me with ill intentions, I ain't sending a bullet or arrow anywhere CLOSE to his head.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:47 PM

No harm ment towards you. I just thought that it is rediculous to try something like that. Ive heard of people doing it also but as for myself. Ha I would rather shoot and know I got the kill as to have a deer run off looking like it could pick up HBO through the arrow sticking out of its skull.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Lady Dude

its legal, take the shot
I forget, are we allowed to call other members names? Cause I got a couple for this guy.[:@] Guess I better read the posting rules again.

Head shots are against the rules; The unwritten rules of bowhunting.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM

The unwritten rules of bowhunting.
I don't have those, can you post them for me please ?

I thought we, as hunters, supported other hunters as long as they hunted within the bounds of the law ?

That isn't so ?

Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM

Oh boy, well, lemme see here, I will be completely honest when I say I don't support anything that is a threat to society's view on hunters as a whole.

I don't care if it is legal to shoot them in the head, it's an ethics thing.

I can't stop you, but I would hope you have more brains than that.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Abar....booom..to the dome.....head shots dont always kill humans either..just something toponder
Old 10-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

I agree that to intentionally shoot a deer in the headis not a smart move.

I can tell you first hand about a head shot. I once shot at a nine pointer probably 15-20 yards out from my treestand, his body was broadside and my arrow hit it in the head just in front of the base to the left antler. How I missed my mark so badly I don't for the life of me know, I was aiming for the chest. The two bladed head went in the skull only probably a half an inch. The buck dropped immediately and kept trying to stand but his motor skills were messed up and he could not stand, Through the process of trying to stand he moved into some brush where I couldn't get a second shot while in the tree stand. I got out quickly and walking up to it as it looked back at me and I had to finish him off. I felt so bad, I wish I could've waved a wand and told him to be on his way.

If one was to intentionally take head shots the per centage of wounding the animal would probably be much greater than killing it on the spot, I would say.

Dan
Old 10-25-2006, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Lady Dude

I thought we, as hunters, supported other hunters as long as they hunted within the bounds of the law ?

That isn't so ?

No, there's more to it than just following laws.

Quick Reply: BOOM, head shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.