HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Arrow Covered with Fat! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/161601-arrow-covered-fat.html)

AlaninWI 10-25-2006 10:06 AM

Arrow Covered with Fat!

Last night my buddy shot a really big 8 point. It was only about 15 yards and broadside. The deer ran a short distance and laid down. It got up when the farmer started picking corn about 200 yards away. He told me what happened and we gave the deer about 2 hours and we set out to track it. When we found his arrow, it was smeared with a thin layer of fat from the broad head to the nock. We found where it had laid down in several locations. The last bed we found had quite a bit of blood but when we tried to pick up the trail we could find no more blood. Where do you think this deer was hit? The reason why we didn't let it set over night was we had one eaten totally by coyotes last year. Got any suggestions? Thanks. Alan

huntingson 10-25-2006 10:10 AM

RE: Arrow Covered with Fat!

Hit it above the spine. He should heal fine. Above the spine always does that. Bleeds like crazy for a time and makes you think they are going to die, and then POOF no blood.

YooperMike 10-25-2006 10:13 AM

Sounds like what huntingson said. Lots of fat in that area, good blood, and nothing.

mauser06 10-25-2006 10:32 AM

i agree with huntingson as a possibility. i hit a buck there a little over a week ago. i knew i hit high but didnt think it was THAT high...really i didnt know a deers spine is that LOW above the vitals. he ducked..thats where i hit. i thought for sure i got lungs till i got online later. i thought for SURE he was dead. not a GREAT trail at first but a little. then jumped a couple logs and was bleeding decint. 400yd trail that dried up. next day 6 of us walked 5yds apart through every piece of woods there is for a good half mile around...no deer. red muscle blood..no lung bubbles..no guts. hes alive. im almost sure i seen him a couple nights ago. but i didnt get a pass through...and heard generally you wont get one through that area..GENERALLY. my arrow was busted about 3 inches and a muzzy in him. arrow had blood and fat for 3-4 more inches. im shooting about 60lbs of KE..another thing is he NEVER bedded over the 400yds and wasnt pushed at all. good luck finding it....dont give up till all options are exauhsted..

coule it also be a brisket hit?? thats muscle and fat...thats another option..

wis_bow_huntr 10-25-2006 11:14 AM

sounds like brisket to me.

AlaninWI 10-25-2006 07:10 PM

I talked to the owner of the pro shop today and he claims that this time of year in Wisconsin, in the corn country, that you can get that type of fat on an arrow with any hit even one right in the boiler maker. I would tend to disagree. I just can see that much fat on the ribs and if he was double lunged, there would be a lot of red bubblie blood, not fat. That is just my opinion. Alan

Buck Huntin Girl 10-25-2006 07:26 PM

I'm by FAR not the most knowledgeable hunter on arrow blood in relation to hits, but I'd have to say the proshop worker in Wisconsin needs to do some research. We have a ton of cornfed deer around here and our arrows come out frothy with heart/lung passthru.

Kybuckhunter 10-25-2006 07:30 PM

I say brisket also.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-25-2006 07:40 PM

Brisket or back, more fat in those area than other areas. If you pass through the body cavity your gonna have more blood or other matter such as guts etc on the area other than just fat. If the blood is missing from the arrow, it's a back graze or brisket graze. Either way, you should see him again.

Copper31 10-25-2006 08:16 PM

I have shot a lot of deer in wi and have never had that happen. I shot a doe that had more fat then I think I have ever seen and bleed real good. I would say you may have grazed him high or low in the brisket like was before mentioned. Never heard of a corn fed deer not bleeding