Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My 2nd '06 Deer.....the story >

My 2nd '06 Deer.....the story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My 2nd '06 Deer.....the story

Old 10-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My 2nd '06 Deer.....the story

Jeff,

I think it's a beautiful animal. I think it's a shame you have to defend yourself on here for killing a legal animal. Just from following your threads, I understand that you are new to Bow hunting and you have killed 2 already! That's great. Make no excuses for what you did.

I also do not like to hear the little ones cry and bawl. Anytime I kill a deer big or small buck or doe, I take a moment to thank my creator and the animals creator. I feel remorse for ending the animals life always. Sometimes my emotions of excitement overshadow my remorseful feelings, but nevertheless they are always present.

I think in order to be an ethical hunter, remorse has to be present.......

Great job and congrat's on a great season..................that's not over yet!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Gus....THANKS!

Guys....I have NO PROBLEMS with people being upset over me killing a button buck. I promise I don't (though I would NEVER give anyone grief for killing something they had tags for.....if they did so in a legal, ethical manner). I can live with that. Some people have very storng feelings over the killing of BB's......and I don't like to hear of it, myself. I understand how it happens, though. I really do.

I knew that a lone doe has a good chance of being a BB. I got caught up in "Hide fever". that's the truth. Had that deer been brown......buck or doe....it would be alive, today. I have meat in my cooler, though.....I called it in (registered the kill)....and I still have tags. it's been one HECK of a bow hunting year (7 pointer and a piebald). I'm looking forward to my next day out....which will likely be Saturday. I'm going back to "the place".....lol.

I wanted to share this real-life experience with all of you. YOU GUYS are my brothers. Talking with some of you about this (which I have, today) means a LOT to me. You're a GREAT fraternity.

GREGH......your name came up in a couple of my conversations, today....including one with my wife at lunch. Your words .....though they took very little actual time from your day.....meant a lot to a first yr deer hunter. I thank you fro taking the time to write them.

To the rest.....good luck with the rest of your seasons. I'll contribute where I can.

Jeff

Jeff
Old 10-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Great story and Great deer. Be proud. I have never seen one on the hoof.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:12 PM

There will always be jerks like modman and superstrutter that try and stir the pot.

Pretty much every hunter I know if they hunt long enough will take a button by accident. Great story and I bet you will look a little harder for those nubs next time.

I shot a button a few years ago and felt kind of bad. A few days later I had a shot at a "doe" about 50 yards out.I was getting ready to shoot when I just barely notice two tiny 1.5 inch spikes sticking out. The spiked walked because I learned from my button kill.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned

Very cool buddy!!! Iwould have it fully mounted. HCH
Old 10-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Banned

Jeff; don't let the jealous whiners get to you. HCH
Old 10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read the negative posts, but I will have to go back and see what the "experts" have to say.
I say congratulations. I also once shot a button buck with a shotgun thinking it was a doe. Luckily in VA it is considered "antlerless" or "antlered" not "doe" vs. "buck", or I would have been in trouble. I had my best season last year and this was my fourth buck (only have three "antlered" tags).
You should be proud of yourself for making this "mistake" (for lack of a better term). Some hunters only hunt at night, with a spot light or while trespassing, or in a automobile. And if they think that they have a chance at getting caught, they don't even come back for the animal. Ultimately having its life ended by a fool! Don't listen to them, and most of all don'tdwell on it. Its the intentional things people do that they should be judged for, andI'm not suggestingthat taking that deer would have been a bad thing to do had you known it was a young buck. It was legal! You done good man! Like I stated before, I didn't read some of the other post - was that your first deer with a bow?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Site Bouncer

Way to go Jeff!! Thats two down this year. Very cool looking deer piabalds are. Don't worry about what others think, You hunt for yourself.

Everytime I pull back my bow on a deer, it's because I want to kill that deer, at that time, for my own reasons.......and that's ALL that should count.

Congrats.....you deserve it, you work hard.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Everytime I pull back my bow on a deer, it's because I want to kill that deer, at that time, for my own reasons.......and that's ALL that should count.

Congrats.....you deserve it, you work hard.
Thanks, BigJ. I guess your first sentence is ALL that ANYONE should ever have to remind themself of. I'll keep that one with me.

Your second sentence is true, too. I DO work hard at this.....and I'm like anyone else....I appreciate you noticing.

Thanks, again.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2006, 06:42 AM

SBGobblers,

Congrats buddy. Listen, we are all judged everyday by others who do not hunt or agree with our reasons for hunting. You are among friends here and there is no need to explain yourself or to ever make any kind of apology. We utilize a wonderful, renuable natural resource, and you made a good shot, to take a unique animal. You will have the pelt to remember that wonderful day, for the rest of your life.

Again, congrats, man. You done good.

God bless.

Quick Reply: My 2nd '06 Deer.....the story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.