Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbing tips and tricks >

Climbing tips and tricks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing tips and tricks

Old 10-25-2006, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Climbing tips and tricks

Ok I'm taking the plunge. I'm gonna get the Summit Viper SS today . I've never been a big fan of climbers. Basically because I've always had a cheap ole clanky climber that I was never thrilled with trying to use. Anyway...... let's hear some tricks of the trade. Some tips that some of you old pro climbers have learned through the years.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Climbing tips and tricks

Before you get out there find a practice tree. You will see that you will need to set your seat and platform at a certain angle starting off to componsating for the tree as it gets skinnier .

2. It took me a few times to learn how to pack my Summit up..so you need to practice a little.

3. Some trees are quieter to climb...Most oak trees are very quiet and so are cypress.

4. Long leaf pines bite in real good but the chunky bark can be loud..

5. Make sure you bring a little folding saw ot cut off dead or small live brances they may interfeer with your climbing.

6. ALWAYS wear your safety harness. Stuff happens.

7. I tie a 20 foot rope to the arm of my stand. I use this to pull up my UNLOADED rifle. I also use this ropeto wrap around my Summit at the end to keep it together. Mine doesn't rattle going through the woods.

7. IMPORTANT! Have a bout a 30 inch piece of rope tied from the bottom of your seat portion to your platform .??? Why is this. In case your platform would ever slide sown the tree ...you would be left up ther sitting in your seat. maybe forever.

8. Walmart sells those nice red rubberize all purpose hooks for about .78
I carry them when I'm climbing. When you get as high as your going screw it in the tree. You can hang your bow or pack on it.

Warning ...Only do this if you feel confident and have your harness on. After you are already up in the tree you can adjust your seat cables. By standing on the platform you can take out the seat cable and tighten it if it needs to be tighter.

God bless and have fun.
C7
Old 10-25-2006, 05:09 AM
Dominant Buck

If you're not hunting on public land an eyebolt lag screw can serve as a safety device , drive one into the trunk just below your climber's cable after you reach the height you plan to hunt from . Once that screw is driven in it's nearly impossible for your climber to slip .
Old 10-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Spike

Great tips...
Dont take too much up in the tree... more stuff to fall and spook deer with. I take a back pack and strap it to the tree. But I usually take too much crap...

Bring a big water botttle to pee in so you donnt have to get out of the tree to pee!
Old 10-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

GREAT TIP!!!! Never gave that a thought!!!!!! Another good thing abotu climbers is you can play the wind better. If its blowing from one direction simply move to the oposite side of the tree. Ive done this many times. Sometimes a tree may be easier to climb on one side than on the other so alot of times Ill go up doingcomplete circles to find the best bitting side of the tree. But Im gonan have to try the lag screw tip!!!

ORIGINAL: kevin1

If you're not hunting on public land an eyebolt lag screw can serve as a safety device , drive one into the trunk just below your climber's cable after you reach the height you plan to hunt from . Once that screw is driven in it's nearly impossible for your climber to slip .
Old 10-25-2006, 05:18 AM
VP

Great Choice for a climber. I own 2 Summit Climbers 1 of which is the Viper. You will love the ease of climbing but most of all how easily it locks/grips the tree. It's in my opinion one of the sturdiest and safest climbers on the market today. In my experience with it I've never gone up a slick bark tree, it's alwasy been pines or some type of Oak so I cant tell you how well it works on that kind of bark, ButI think your going to like your decision.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2006, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

To get your stand to 'bite' into those smooth barked trees, take a file and put a beveled edgeonto the rounded knubs that grab the tree. My buddy has that stand and really likes it.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

Pick a straight tree. May sound silly, but the other day I put my climber in a tree that had a slight bend/angle to it and by time I got done hunting my back was killing me because the bend was toward me...crowding my stand. Yes, I could have moved it to the other side, but then would have been facing 180 away from where I needed to be.
***Most Important*** Put your safety strap around the tree before you start climbing. Even a fall from as low as 5 feet can hurt you depending on how you fall. Several times I've gotten half way up and realized that I was not attached to the tree and I always kick myself in the butt for that...(after I'm done hunting [8D])
Good luck with your new climber.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:49 AM

I also have the Summit Viper SS - excellent choice! I love it!

Here's what I've learned so far:

1) Don't buy the skins just yet. The current version will peel off and you'll end up sending the treestand back when the new skins comes out (some time early November). When it does come out with the new glue supplier, BUY IT! Excellent silencing.

2) I use an old strip of carpet on my platform to quiet it more and to keep dirt from falling between the bars (dirt and leaves stick to your boots).

3) Just this past summer I purchased a bow holder that holds the bow during the climb - no need to pull the bow up and let it down any longer. Since I use a whisker biscuit I'm always ready for deer even during the climb!

4) My personal favorite safety harness is the hunter safety system vest. But, I don't like their attachment for the tree. I prefer the Summit prusic knot rope (you'll get a free one with your stand) - works great!

5) I'm finding my fanny pack is full of stuff and makes it difficult to get into the seat for climbing. I'm considering changing to a backpack to make it easier to get in and out of the seat climber.

6) I've found setting the front of the seat a little higher than the back of the seat is much more comfortable and keeps pressure off the back of your calves.

7) That new Summit wil BITE into the tree very well. You may need to push slightly sideways on the seat climber and the platform while climbing in order to disengage to move.

8) Set the seat low enough so the bar will not be in the way of your lower bow limb while shooting, yet high enough you can stand without using your arms and hands - too much movement can give you away.

There are more, but I'm sure you'll do well.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best advice I can give is to find a suitable tree and practice! practice! practice! Practice the final setup and tie in close to the ground until you get used to the stands idiosyncrasies amnd practice climbing over and over till you get the hang of doing it safely and quietly.

Make sure you use a good safety harness while climbing as well as when at the top. It seems like a nuisance but could saveyour life.

With the summit, pay special attention to the clips that keep the cable in place. When they get worn they get loose and pop off easily. A guy I know was 25 feet up and the clip on the main platform came off and the cable popped out. He was 25 feet up hanging on to the climbing aid/seat. He tried to hug the tree and shinny down, lost his grip and tore his bicep from the bone when it caught a knot on the way down

Quick Reply: Climbing tips and tricks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.