HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Best names for bucks and why (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/161420-best-names-bucks-why.html)

Germ 10-24-2006 11:27 AM

Best names for bucks and why

We have all named bucks in our days. What was the best name you gave a buck and why. I will start:

Corn Knocker-He was a 14 point I saw once, his rack would nock over corn as he ran through the corn rows

The Devil-This buck was evil, he was a big 12, he knew things.

Jake- Jake was a button buck, eveytime I would call(10 years ago when I used to call) he would come running in bleating. I named him Jake because I always thought the deer whined a lot. Like my bosses son, Jake.

The Log Splitter Buck - Well I was about to shoot this buck after gun season here in MI, I was hunting behind the barn. Dad wanted to split some wood, so he fired up the log splitter. Since the deer were a little spooked, he went and laid down on the other side of the field. I have had two other chances at him, both with my bow back, and both times I did not get a shot.

Ok your turn:)

nohillbilly 10-24-2006 11:36 AM

RE: Best names for bucks and why

I've only named the two I have mounted. One is Billy Buckhead and my wife named the other Fred.

huntingson 10-24-2006 11:41 AM

The King - A buddy and I call every small buck we see "The King" in honor of this one dip we hunted with who every time out in the woods swore that he saw "The King" of all bucks.

Lucky - this 11 point avoided my dad and I for three years. Found his sheds every year and had him within bow range 6 or 7 times but neither of us ever got a shot. Ended up finding his remains one year. No idea what happened to him, but his rotting corpse kept the deer away. He got us in the end.

No Tail - Obviously, this deer had no tail. Never shot him either, but it was neat b/c he was so easy to identify.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever shot a deer that I had named or seen enough to know. I must suck at this game :D

Germ 10-24-2006 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

The King - A buddy and I call every small buck we see "The King" in honor of this one dip we hunted with who every time out in the woods swore that he saw "The King" of all bucks.

Lucky - this 11 point avoided my dad and I for three years. Found his sheds every year and had him within bow range 6 or 7 times but neither of us ever got a shot. Ended up finding his remains one year. No idea what happened to him, but his rotting corpse kept the deer away. He got us in the end.

No Tail - Obviously, this deer had no tail. Never shot him either, but it was neat b/c he was so easy to identify.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever shot a deer that I had named or seen enough to know. I must suck at this game :D

Me too, LOL
I always seem to get a different one!

shed33 10-24-2006 12:00 PM

I've been tagging bucks with names for a long time..

here's a few...

Ole Yeller- distinct yellowish cape..on vid...hunting his area now...

Stretch- long main beamed 5x5buck I have a shed from..on vid hunting his area now..

Ole Grey- Grey muzzle..mature buck..on vid...hunting him now...

High Rack- have a set of his sheds, and on vid he's a tall tined 5x5 with distinct crab claws, my boys call him the "crab clawed' buck... possibly killed last year..not sure..video of a very similiar buck this summer..word of a big crab clawed 5x5 shot near his area last year...

Lucky 6, a buck I killed last season 6x6 my brother had missed the year before..hence the name lucky. He's on the wall

Big Moe, first buck I ever named..hvy 5x5 150 class dead now..

Little Moe...same ridge..huge 4x4 his shed I found scores 72 inches..for a 4x side, 27 inch mains...12 inch g-2s and 3's havent seen since 99 dead most likely

CokeCan,the largest Nontypical I have ever found scouting..I blew it on him..videoing one day too close..learned a hard lesson..never saw him again...most likely died of old age

Boss Hawg-big mature 150 class 5x5 most likely dead now...

Zilla-big buck I hunted for three years before a rifle hunter shot him 75 yards from my tree stand just after I had had him pass by me...out of range...I about cried..He was a 150 inch grossing 4x5

RD (real deal) My largest grossing buck I have killed to date with my bow at 184.
The first time I laid eyes on him while videoing one summer..I immediatly muttered to myself..."Thats the real deal there" hence RD...then realized the largest shed antler I hadat home (83 inches)belonged to him.. he's on the wall

Stickers..buck my brother is after this season...big 5x5 with some stickers at his bases..probably a 150 class buck. vid of him this summer

Picklefork..probably the largest buck my brother and I have seen on the hoof..close to a 190 grossing split g-2 buck..24 inside ... probably still alive..wont hunt his area till I get some snow...

HNI_Christine 10-24-2006 12:02 PM

Frank. Named after my sister's landlord. (He's hot.) ;)

Emeril. 'Cause, BAM, he kicked it up a notch when ever he was around.

Russell. He hung out in the corn and you could hear him before you could see him.

My favorite is 'dumb buck'. Those seem to be the only ones I have a chance of killing.

Pic of Frank. (the deer, not the landlord)

Chuck7 10-24-2006 12:04 PM

Mr. Wide Rack

Tarsalius 10-24-2006 12:09 PM

Stinky: This 1 1/2 year old spike buck smelled soo bad during the rut
you would smell him before you saw him.

Bo-Jangle: At 1000 plus yards, we had no problem seeing how massive
and high his rack was. AKA> Buck -e- Buck

kenman 10-24-2006 12:13 PM

Never really named any bucks, they are either "KONG" or "little guy". It is always the goal to kill "KONG", but more often than not, "little guy" goes down. The two "KONG'S" I have on my wall are named "Rudolph" and "Blitzen".

rankbull 10-24-2006 12:20 PM

All my names are inappropriate because I name them after they bust me