Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help a Beginner.. >

Help a Beginner..

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help a Beginner..

Old 10-24-2006, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Help a Beginner..

Ebay all the way!!!

Seriously, you will find everything you need there, and if you look through enough stuff, you will find some excellent deals.

I got my Browning Rage ($250 bow) on there for less than $100, nearly new. It came with sights, rest, and some other fancy stuff I quickly took off (like a peep sight). I bought carbon arrows, because they fly better (IMO) and because they are a lot better quality and will last forever (as long as you aren't Robin Hooding them lol). I also bought a whisker biscuit rest at Wal-Mart for $29 and a youth release at Gander Mountain for $15 I think. The bow works great and I have been very happy with it's performance!

Also, don't forget you have Christmas coming up... make sure you ask for gift cards and gift certificates to local sportsman's stores around you, you would be amazed how much a $50 gift card can help out with the expenses of hunting!

Good luck and happy shooting!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:21 PM

Be patient, don't forget to just enjoy the time in the woods. Equipment is only one piece of the equation. The rest is learning how to spend time practicing and waiting for the deer to be in the right place at the right time. I have been bow hunting for about six years and it never ceases to amaze me at how fast you can either become frustrated or excited.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:22 PM

Look into the Reflex Highlander. I've heard nothing but good things about this bow. A Highlander Package can be had for around $375-$450, if you look hard enough. Do LOTS of reading....forums, magazines, even watching some of the Hunting shows on TV will give you some bow knowledge.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:25 PM

hey where at in northern mn? im from around there
Old 10-24-2006, 10:21 PM

East of Walker about 5 miles, just south of Leech Lake. We just purchased the land a little over a year ago in September, and hunted it last fall with little to no scouting. I was able to bag a nice 7 pointer during rifle season, but this year we've had a lot of time to do some scouting. Now that we've got this land forever, I wanted to get into bow hunting so I can set up stands and leave them out there for a while. Where's your land at?

Keep the advice coming guys, it is all greatly appreciated!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:18 AM

bump.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:52 AM

I recommend the Browning Rage or Rage One bow package. I own the Rage One and it is a great bow for the price. Just keep it simple. I have a whisker biscuit, stabilizer, three pin tru glo sight, limbsavers, peep sight, string silencersand a sling. I shoot the 30 dollar Cabela's release and couldn't be more pleased. Hope that helps. Oh, by the way I used to own a PSE Nova and it was a fairly good bow, but the Rage is much better for a little extra money. Look at Cabela's archery catalog.