Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help a Beginner.. >

Help a Beginner..

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help a Beginner..

Old 10-24-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Help a Beginner..

Hey guys -

I recently stumbled upon this forum a couple weeks ago and have found it to be a great resource for information. I've been hunting for 10 years now, however only rifle hunting in northern MN. However, recently I've had the passion to get into Bow hunting. Our family owns 60 acres of land in Northern MN and directly adjecent to our property to the South and to the East is the National Forest which we are free to hunt as well. So even though we own only 60 acres, we have thousands at our disposal.

The reason for my post is that I am a complete newbie to Bow hunting. At this point, I don't even own a bow or arrows. I guess what I was hoping for is some advice in buying a bow and arrows. What works best, what to avoid, things like that. Also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've done some research on my own and have found that you can spend a TON of money on bows. I just recently graduated from college (in May) and recently started a full-time job, so right now, the cash flow is a little limited. What would be a good bow for an inexperienced hunter to start out with while keeping the price somewhat reasonable? Also, what about sights? What are some good sights to put on a bow? thanks in advance for all your help guys!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:56 AM

Default RE: Help a Beginner..

Well i know at our local shops right now they are sellin a package on ( i belive ) its a Bowtech Tomcat.

Now its like 530 to 540 some where in that price range, But its a package so you get bow, sights, quiver, limb savers and that stuff, so really its ready to go, you just need to tune it and get some arrows and find a deer, I thik its a nice bow and for a package its a pretty good deal,

As for arrows you can get alumminum, carbon, and you do have to get the most expensivest ones ethier, I would recomend to get carbons since they wont bend. But you can get what ever you can afford, But when you get them make sure you have some one help you at the archery shop. now sometimes they will try and sell ya the best but make sure you ask questions and talk to them about the cheaper ones.

I hope this helps you out some what.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you don't have to spend a ton of money. I shoot a PSE Nova which is about a 200 dollar bow. I've killed about 20 deer with it in the last 7 years, including 3 this year. All the stuff that goes with it can add up pretty fast, though. Release, arrows, broadheads, sights, but you can get rigged up for about 500 dollars, I think.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:09 PM

any more help?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes...I checked a bow site last night.I think it was PSE . YOu can buy a bow from them which will b eall set up for you out of the box. They will need ot know what your draw length is .
To find tha tout you will need to have someone measure your arm spand from finger tip to finger tip spread out {Like Jesus on the cross} Divide those inches by 2.5 and that is your draw length. I thought mine was 31 but it's actually 30"

The best bet is to go to a bow shop....and be fitted and set up there. If it was me though I would just get one from PSE set up .Shipping is usually free. YOu are looking at about 425.00
Old 10-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

If money is a serious issue I'd also consider Ebay..someone with 100% feedback of course. The assesories are not that bad. I bought my high quality carbon arrows from Walmart during their clearance sale.

I saw a nice Bow Tech on there yesterday. Hoyts go very reaonable.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 PM

As far as equipment wise, the other guys have hit it on the head. Go to a pro shop, find a decent bow and setup that you can afford, and start researching anything about bowhunting. Thing is, you probably wont be able to deer hunt with it this season. Bowhunting take a lot more patience and precision than rifle, so the most respectful thing to the animal you can do, is to get to know your equipment inside and out before trying to hunt with it. Research as much about deer that you can in order to get to know the animal better. Knowing how they think can be the difference in seeing or not seeing deer, and having them come within the "magic" range of 20 yards.
Advice about equipment. Parker makes some great starter bows, as well as diamond, martin, PSE, and even hoyt. You may want to try to save though and invest in a higher dollar bow. Higher price doesnt necessarily mean higher quality though. Shoot as many as you can to get a feel. Specs on bows to look for should have a brace height around or over 7 inches, an axle to axle above 34 inches, and you will want to look at cam style. Solo cams i think are a lot easier to work on and tune, but they are harder shooting than some of the two cams or new hybrid cam systems. I dont know the area you hunt, but a heavier bow is more stable and has less shock. But sometimes the extra weight is bad if you have a lot of area to cover. As far as arrows, a dozen carbons will last longer to begin with because they dont "bend" like aluminums and when starting that is a good way to cut price so you wont have to buy straight arrows all the time if your missing while getting use to the bow. Get a good release! Out of all things you'll get to start, dont be cheap on the release. Tru-ball tornados are a great one because of the "surprise" built into them, and they run around $50. Archers choice makes the Grizzly sight which runs around $25. For rests, id say either go star hunter(i still love those rests for some reason), or (dare is say) the whisker bisquit. Go to a pro shop, and not bass pro or any other high retail. Half those people are just selling you something and dont know that much about it. Go to a pro shop and ask as many questions as you can, thats what they are their for.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine just bought a bow from Gander mountain. It was a Parker for $399. It is complete and I was shocked at how nice it is, light, fast and quiet. All you'd need to get is a release, arrows and an arm gard and you'd be all set.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:11 PM

any more help/advice guys?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

reflex is the generic hoyt and is a great bow i have two hoyts i am trying to sell too a hoyt ultrasport rigged out 350 plus shipping just shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can talk about it if you are interested this is a great bow and i have an ultrasport i will be selling soon to for 325 rigged out so just let me know

Quick Reply: Help a Beginner..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.