HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Wi. Doe Down (UPDATE PICS) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/161368-wi-doe-down-update-pics.html)

wis_bow_huntr 10-24-2006 05:29 AM

Wi. Doe Down (UPDATE PICS)

I arrived at my stand around 4:15 and with the thoughts ofthe seeking phase begining I decided to put out some Doe in Heat. Right after I put it out I climed into my ladderstand and I no longer got into my stand, didnt even have an arrow nocked and I see movement comming in from the east. I figured it was a buck as fast as it was comming in, it was, a little button buck. He came in smelled around a bit and I let him go on his marry way. About 1 1/2 hours later maybe 2 I heard a twig snap and I looked North East and spotted something comming in. I was hoping for a nice buckbutwould glady settle for amature doe with no yearlings with her. She came in and I though right away she had busted me. She looked up at me and stared for a minute, and then went right back to walking. She picked up a wild apple from the ground and ate that. When she was done she began to head south which offers me a perfect broadside shot. As she got be hind a tree I drew my bow and waited for her to come into the clearing 15 yards away. A little closer than I like to shoot. She steps out, and I give her a short bleet. She stands there, looks towards me and I release. As she took off I was sure it wasa pretty good shot but didnt know exactly for sure. I got down from my stand and began walking to where I shot her. Long and behold theres my arrow, covered in blood. The bad news is its starting to snow and snowing hard and sticking to the ground now. I ran to my car and got on my phone and called the wifes cousin Mike and him and my fater in law came up with the truck. I did fid some good blood under some leaves and it was going the direction I figured she crashed. It was dark and the snow made it hard to find any amount of blood. When I told them where I think she went down, We combed that area. Found her. I was pretty sure with the shot that she never made it over our neighbors fence. Which if she had she wouldnt be far from it and we do have permission to acess the land if needed at any time. Good neighbors are like that. Well as I approached her I looked at the shot placement and it was a little higher than I had hoped. Not too far back though. I rolled her over and looked at the exit hole, it also was a tad high. hmmm. I though for sure I had taken her clean through the lungs. As i cleaned her out and insepcted the damage, it was plain to see that I hit her liver square center and the 4 Blade Muzzy 100gr. litteraly exploded her liver on impact. And being that the exit hole was actually lower than the enterance she actually did bleed out quite a bitbut the snow was covering the trail. When I cleaned her out there was quite a bit of blood left inside her yet, more than likely from after she went down. she plugged up the hole and she filled up. This is my first deer this season and now its time to focus on the bucks. Im hoping to post pics tonight.

Western MA Hunter 10-24-2006 07:23 AM

RE: Wi. Doe Down

Congrats. Sounds like an exciting hunt. Got any pics?

ostdc 10-24-2006 07:46 AM

RE: Wi. Doe Down

Good job on the recovery. I panic at the thought of a blood trail getting covered up or washed away. Way to go!
Brian

wis_bow_huntr 10-25-2006 05:07 AM

RE: Wi. Doe Down (UPDATE PICS)

Heres the pic. She was a bit stiff but hey it works.

buckhunter14 10-25-2006 05:14 AM

nice, good eating!

PA Hardwoods 10-25-2006 05:31 AM

Congrats! It's always good to have meat in the freezer.:D