Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 i think i did the right thing???? hopefully!! >

i think i did the right thing???? hopefully!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i think i did the right thing???? hopefully!!

Old 10-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Spike

Default i think i did the right thing???? hopefully!!

well yesterday was my first day hunting. here in kansas you can bait deer. so i threw out some corn two weeks prior to hinting in several spots. i know itscheating but everyonearound my area does it, so i dont have a chance if i dont do it too. well,i went out inthe morning and saw a nice buck about twohundred and fifty yards away. i couldnt tellhow big he was but saw a lot of points and good height.

i decided to come back out in the evening. around 530 pmi sawa deer approaching my stand. it was a 1 1/2 year old sevenpoint buck. he was about 10 yards away and stayed there for 30 minutes. i heard some noise behind me. i looked back and there was a 1 1/2 year old six point buck. he came over to the seven point and challenged theseven pointto fight but the seven point didnt want none of that. the six point pushed the seven point away from the corn. they stayed around the corn for another 10 minutes.

until i heard some more noisebehind me where the sixpoint came from. i looked backand saw a 2 1/2year old 10 point buck. he was smelling around like a hound dog would do when they are tracking someone. of course that was the route i took to get to my stand.he followed my trail but lost it. thank god i was wearing rubber boots. he decided to stop smelling and passed my stand down wind but didnt smell me. he went overto the corn pile and started eating. of course he was only ten yards away. i decided not to shot due to him not being big enough and this is why. his g two's and three's were only about five inches long,the inside spread was about 12 inches and themain beam almost touched in the front. he was a nice basket buck, but the bucks in this area grow long tins and his wereshort. i decided to give him a year hoping that noone takes him.

another reasons why i let him go was because it was my first time out, the rut hasnt hit yet,and i love being out there.now did i do the right thing here. hopefully it doesnt kick me in my @#@ later.

the buck im showing was the buck i shot last year. the buck i saw yesterday might be his younger brother.both bucks have the same antler shape like a basket.

i know! some people in other stated wouldve shot the buck without thinking about it.

dont be to harsh and no im not hunting just for the size of the antlers.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:18 AM

Default RE: i think i did the right thing???? hopefully!!

If I lived in Kansas, I probably wouldn't have eventhought aboutshooting anything that could be considered a basket rack deer. Even more so with him only having 5 inch tines. You guys have some freakishly huge deerout there. You did right. Be patient. It will pay off. Save your tag for something you'll be proud of. Nice buck you killed last year by the way.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i think i did the right thing???? hopefully!!

If you have to ask us if we think you are doing what is right for you, then I would say you need to do some more thinking and figure that out for yourself. No one here can say what is the right thing for you to do.

Nice buck from last year!!! I hope this year's results are exactly what you want.