Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Layering techniques to keep warm >

Layering techniques to keep warm

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Layering techniques to keep warm

Old 10-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Layering techniques to keep warm

I used to try to be big and tough when it came to hunting....I am not cold, and I will not stop hunting is all I Said....I meant the "I will not stop hunting", but the cold part....forget that. Here is what I have done over the years and it has really helped me stay warm.

1)Only wear 1 layer into the woods if you can.....the lightest amount of clothing that will keep you slightly warm, but keeps sweating to a minimal.

2) Do not wear a hat into your stand if you can...keep your head scent-free by bathing correctly and spraying down with scent stuff if you want.

3) Only wear 1 pair of socks to your stand. Keep the remaining socks inside your pack.

4) Wear boots that are loose rather than tight when it is cold, tight doesn't allow the heat to circulate.....layer with 2-3 pairs of socks, the last layer being wool or some composite wool.....on the outside of your other socks, so the wool won't make you sweat.

5) After you climb into your stand, start letting yourself cool down(5 minutes) before putting on the remainder of your hunting clothes.....if you rush, you will heat up and sweat, causing the sweat to freeze and in turn your body to cool down.

6) Bring those little hand and feet warms to keep the tips of toes warm if necessary.....just buy em, they really help when you are freezing.

7)Keep your head/neck/chest warm with a turtle neck that keeps the heat in your chest area and doesn't let it escape.

8) Wear Rain Gear as the second layer of clothing---it helps keep wind OUT.

Hope that helps.

vashadow

Old 10-22-2006, 04:37 PM

Default RE: Layering techniques to keep warm

I found the best thing out there for October hunting was all rubber boots such as the Lacrosse, Rocky, Cabela's Thinsulate 800 gram boots. When the weather gets really rough in Nov and Dec the 1000 or 1200's work even better. They are 100% waterproof, deter scents you don't want, don't have to be dried or waterproofed, and can see washed or hosed off when caked with mud. After using them now for about 8 yrs I'd never go back to Cordura or Leather again. Just my $.02!
Old 10-22-2006, 04:46 PM

I throw whatever I can find on... I wear a layer of thermal underwear, usually of the underarmour variety (off brand), a t shirt over that, a porous camo short sleeved shirt over that, a polar fleece shirt, then a thermal lined hooded sweatshirt, topped off with a waterproof hunting jacket... that's what I do to keep my body warm. I have a hand muff for my hands, paired with jersey gloves and hand warmer packs inside, my hands stay decently warm. My toes, that's a different story, I've tried everything, they get cold easily. I have decently insulated boots, and typically wear a pair of knee high softball socks with another pair of everyday socks over it. I have heard nylons would help with warmth as well, but haven't tried it yet... man I hate those things!

I don't do a lot of hunting when the temps are below 25 degrees though. It doesn't get that cold until my hunting is over for the most part.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:50 PM

When temps fall below like 30 degrees I found only the felt Pacs used for ice fishing and snowmobiling work.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 PM

When it gets real nippy one trick I use is to wear a wool neck gaiter and take one of the chemical hand warmers and put it on the back of my neck at the base of my skullwrapped in something...a sock or a bandana, inside the gaiter.....makes a big difference.[/align]
Old 10-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

NO COTTON near the skin...

As far as socks... I highly recomend the Smart Wool socks.. they are a bit pricey... but worth every penny. I can wear 1 pair w/ my uninsulated Alpha Burlys all the way down into the 40s.. then I break out my 800 gram Danner Pronghorns. And these will keep me warm well into the teens.

Most people try to keep their feet warm by wearing more socks.. this is a big no no... When the body core cools... it pulls blood from the extremities. So if you keep your head, neck, body warm.. then the feet and hands will also be warm. If you wear 2-3-4 pairs of socks.. you're taking up all the air space in your boots... no air to heat up.. equals cold feet.

When it gets really cold... another trick is to throw some heat packs on your back around your kidney area and chest area... Some people use those heat packs that are for sore backs ect.. haven't given that a try yet.. but I'm sure they work also.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

When I am on the stand all day and it's real cold I will put those disposable heat warmers in my boots, right next to my bare skin, right on my toes. Usually once during the day I have to take them out and shake them in air, they need the oxygen. Probably can't take the stink from my feet.

Also I wear a polar fleece head mask, under my camo mask. I have found that keeping my head/neck nice and warm helps to keep my feet warm. (and the rest of me) Also I use long johns, etc. all the usual ice-fishing gear up to a point. (not the super bulky stuff)

Very important to practice with your bow with everything you wear, obvious i know.

When it's cold, and you get cold, it's amazing how much harder it is to pull a bow back that you can routinely pull back in summer with ease.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Spike

Ditto to the comment about no cotton: it retains moisture and will not insulate when wet.

I always wear an X-Static mock turtle neck as my first layer, whether it is 10 degrees or 80 degrees. It wicks moisture away from my skin and the silver fibers keep it from stinking.

A wind-proof/water-proof outer layer is essential (I don't understand the fleece designs with the wind-proof layer on the inside: the outer fleece layer is nearly worthless for insulation). I have a Cabela's Revolution Fleece pull-over and I love it: I wear it from 10 degrees to 60 degrees with different layers underneath. Waterproof, windproof, quiet, and a hood if it gets very wet, cold, or windy. I plan to get some pants to match.

A warm hat is a must. I prefer not to use a hood whenever possible: it reduces both vision and hearing. I have a fleece watch cap that is reversible: camo on one side and blaze orange on the other (very important in PA since Archery season overlaps various deer and turkey gun seasons).

I plan to get some of the X-Static silver fiber socks from Cabelas. They are available in various thicknesses and combine an inner fabric with a wool outer fabric in a single weave. As mentioned before, it is important that the boots be large enough for the thicker socks.

I'm still working on keeping my hands warm. I think I will end up with thin gloves that retain sufficient dexterity to shoot with them on combined with a muff (possibly with a heat pack inside for very cold weather). This should allow me to keep my hands warm for the hours that I wait and then remain sufficiently warm while I prepare for the shot.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:41 AM

I suggest to everyone that they should get a set ofpoly propylene (polypros) thermals. They are perfect for wicking moisture away and are designed for multiple weather conditions. Wear these things in the morning when it is 25 degrees and don't worry about being to hot later in the day when it warms up to 50, you'll be comfortable.

This will sound like a snobbish elitist attitude, but don't buy hunting clothes from Walmart. Sure they are cheap, but remember tey old saying , you get what you pay for. By quality gear from Cabela's and such. After the first outting in quality hunting gear, you will as why you wasted all those dollars at Wallys world.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 AM

Don't know about not getting clothes from Wal-Mart. I bought a set of insulated bibs a couple of years ago and a 4n1 parka and have never been cold. I'll agree that most things there are cheap, but Cabelas and BPS both offer the lower quality clothing just like Wal-Mart. If you layer properly it doesn't matter as much.

Quick Reply: Layering techniques to keep warm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.