Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hang on and climbing sticks >

hang on and climbing sticks

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hang on and climbing sticks

Old 10-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Spike

Default hang on and climbing sticks

just wondering how many of you back pack in hangons and climbing sticks all the time. are they hard to set up or pack in with out noise.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hang on and climbing sticks

I just got done haging to stands with climbing sticks. I always hang my stands about 2 weeks before I plan on hunting them, but there is a little noise to them. And if you have to walk to far, then the stick will get real old after a few hundred yards.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:47 PM

All mine are hangons and climbing sticks except for twoladder stands that I inherited from a friend, I've got about 15 altogether...enough. SportsmansGuide usually has good 20' sticks for about $35, then at the end of the season I'll usually find good stands on sale for $70-$80....I've been buying about 3 a season but will probably stop after this season since I have enough for my needs......I just need to repalce the last two really crappy stands I had bought at Dick's Sporting Goods that were $25 each. Then I also have two climbers, one of which is a cheapy Ascent that I usually leavein the woods (I only hunt private property) ....sometime's if I've been busted in a stand I'll use the climber 20 yards away and a little higher......
Old 10-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Spike

yea i try to hang them well in advance too. but was wondering if people use hang ons and climbing sticks to be mobile like instead of a climber i you dont have climbing trees
Old 10-22-2006, 12:56 PM

I've never used them to be mobil, a climber will get you 20-25' up in a fraction of the time it takes to put up a stick and pull up a hangon and get it fastened. And unless you have an ATV or two people, hauling a stick and a ladder is two trips. I'll scout and find a good spot and put up the stand, which is over a food plot, a feeder or a travel route. If it's a good location I'll leave it there from season to season, just loosend it up in May or Apr and tighten it back down and freshen it back up in Aug unless it needs to be adjusted, I've also adjusted several from 10 to 30 yards from where I initially put them within a season. I 've usualy taken one or two a year down and move them somewhere else. You can usually find a cheap climber on sale for $99
Old 10-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: spur0701

I've never used them to be mobil, a climber will get you 20-25' up in a fraction of the time it takes to put up a stick and pull up a hangon and get it fastened. And unless you have an ATV or two people, hauling a stick and a ladder is two trips. I'll scout and find a good spot and put up the stand, which is over a food plot, a feeder or a travel route. If it's a good location I'll leave it there from season to season, just loosend it up in May or Apr and tighten it back down and freshen it back up in Aug unless it needs to be adjusted, I've also adjusted several from 10 to 30 yards from where I initially put them within a season. I 've usualy taken one or two a year down and move them somewhere else. You can usually find a cheap climber on sale for $99
I beg to differ, I am in my stand in 10-15 minutes with my climbing sticks and Lone Wolf Hangon in one trip. My setup is lightweight and doesn't stick out on the sides or above my head while transporting into the timber.I don't have to have a specific limbless, straight tree like a climber does either.I used to have a Summit Viper and it was a pain looking for the perfect tree and it stuck up too high on my back, the cables stuck out too wide on the sides of me, and the cables were noisey installing. After 30 plus years of bowhunting this is the BEST way to hunt from a tree that I have found or tried and I have tried or seen it all. My setup goes out with me every night and is easy and quiet to setup and takedown. HCH

Old 10-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

i agree. i hav the lne wlf systm and it is grt. the stnd is easy to hang and it is a great hunting tool. camo tape it though, the grey clr sticks out in the woods
Old 10-22-2006, 09:59 PM

I just got the lone wolf sit and climb and I love it. How much does that weigh hardcore? I think the best atvantage would be being able togetdown quickly and quietly if you wanted to go after something or if you droped somethin. a climber makes this a big deal even if it can climb quiet. actually now that I think about it I don't know why I diddn't just do that instead, crap.

I wouldn't wanna try that with screw in steps though.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:18 AM

I stand corrected....how much does the whole setup weigh? How many feet is the climbing stick? When I install a hangon I sorta winch it up and tie it off with a rope...do you do that or is the wolf light enough to just carry up?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:37 PM

What kind of climbing stick is that hardcore?

Quick Reply: hang on and climbing sticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.