Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pre-rut?  is it here? >

Pre-rut? is it here?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pre-rut? is it here?

Old 10-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pre-rut? is it here?

its going on here in georgia i went bow hunting this morning and i was bringing in a deer that i thoght was just a doe. and then i see a doe run out from like behind me and i never even knew he was there. then about 5 minutes later the origianl one i was going after comes out to the doe and it turned out to be a buck. so after about 15 minutes of watching them graze. i slowly crept up on them. one i was about 45 yards i felt that i could make the shot. so i drew the arrow back and held it for a minute, i couldnt stop shaking because my adrenaline was so high and my arrow kept following off the rest so when i finally let my arrow fly it hit a branch that i had never even noticed was there and it popped the arow up and scared the doe off into a thicket and the buck just moved about 10 feet back. so as i got out another arrow about 5 minutes later, the buck moved on to the thicket with the doe. so i was trying to find where he is in it and all of a sudden he starts getting terretorial and starts blow air out of his nose really loud. then starts hitting his atlers on things. so i start to get a little nervous because if you have seen what happens to people who freak out a buck in the movies and documentaries they get trampled by the deer. so i started to move back a little and he continues to do so. eventually some coyote comes along and scares them off and he just chases them so i come home wiht no deer at all. but to top it off on the way home we are on a busy road and all of a sudden 5 deer in a line just go out in the road just before us. so we jam on the brakes and there they go we came about a foot away from hitting them. so ive had a fun day. and im going back tonight and tomorow night.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

in sothern wis the lil bucks are chasing a bit, my uncle shot a decent buck yesterday that was ripping up a scrape line.... so mabey just starting to kick in
Old 10-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is interesting to say the least Mastetv! I never thought of that, but honestly I have seen male dogs pay particular attention to certain areas on women. I know that is somewhat taboo, but from a scientific perspective it is worthy of note. Perhaps there is some link to human female hormones being somewhat similar, but that is waybeyond me.

With all these stories coming in I would say that the pre rut is started and just going to get more and more intense.

I am just trying to guage when to take my annual 3 or 4 day vacation. At this point I am guessing the beginning of the second week of November. The big boys ought to be out and about at that point. I know it's great to be out there now, but I also think most of the activity is being seen from young bucks.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

chazspot,

That's probably a good time. Ideally, you could be flexible and go when the weather forecast is for consecutive cold, calm and dry days anytime between Nov. 4 and 14 or so.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

DougMD, I agree. I would like to schedule 3 or 4 days straight but I don't have a problem scattering days off. Other times I have taken consecutive days off, I have been screwed by the weather. I go out one of those days and all of the sudden it's 75 degrees. Not good deer hunting weather. So, I do try to get a forecast first and then have that coincide with the timing of the rut. Kinda tough, but it's worth it.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's definately picking up in Wisconsin. Friday evening I decided to give a few grunts on the tube and ten seconds didn't go by before a nice 10pt came crashing out of the willow thicket looking for the source of the grunt. Unfortunately henever came within 60 yards. A half hour later I grunted a couple times at a year and a half old 8pt that changed his direction and came right under my stand looking for the source of the grunt.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm on vacation from Tuesday, Halloween through the next 2 weeks.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watched a pretty nice 8 pointer make a scrape and pee in it, about 40 yards in front of me last night in the rain.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

How about Illinois. Anyone know whats happening here? Only been out a few time this year so far. I have seen a few liitle ones by themselves a couple different time. I haven't had much time to get out, but getting ready to find some... Maybea good time for the active scrape dripper? Maybe to early for esturus?

Good luck to allthis year, be safe!