Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you know if you should hunt morning or afternoon? >

How do you know if you should hunt morning or afternoon?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you know if you should hunt morning or afternoon?

Old 10-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you know if you should hunt morning or afternoon?

How do you know? I hear people saying all the time that "he's probably a morning buck" or they set up a good "morning/afternoon stand". How do you know?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How do you know if you should hunt morning or afternoon?

Personally, if I can get away with hunting, I'm hunting. I go all the time to new areas and set up and hunt. I keep good notes in my head and watch the pattern of the deer vs. the surroundings. Where's the fields, oaks, creeks, thickets. Another thing that comes in handy is being able to read tracks. You should be able to tell which ones were just made, 6 hours old, 24, and older. If you've never done this go to your local park that has deer and walk through it daily for a week. Look at the tracks just made and go back again the next day and look at them 24 hours old compared to fresh tracks.

I use to do this with my last lab. He was near sighted therefore wouldn't be good for duck hunting, though many people wanted to use him, I trained him for deer hunting under my control. Had the perfect spot for it. I planned on have friends surround this 160 acre thicket and just me and the dog walk through pestering the deer. Making them slip out the funnels. Not running just walking out. To do this I needed to be able to read the tracks.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me there are places that I can't get to without spooking deer, so I set up by a nearby foodsource. If the deer are in the food in the morning, why spook them out, that's an afternoon stand. There are other places that I can get nearer the bedding areas without spooking the deer in the food, so that's a morning hunt. Somplaces just work better for mornings or evenings. I hope that I didn't make thing confusing.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

you have to be in the woods, and pattern the deer, i never hunt the morning cause there already asleep by then, but come the evening theres moving all over
Old 10-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the early season deer tend to move to feeding areas in the evening and return to bedding areas in the morning. Therefore I hunt the woods just inside the field edges in the evening. I hunt my spots near bedding areas in the morning.

During the rut it's a good idea to plan all day hunts near bedding areas. The bucks will cruise around the bedding areas sniffing for hot does.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just go every chance I get. AM or PM. I don't know when they will show so I better be there as much as possible.