Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let him go?  Gimme a break! >

Let him go? Gimme a break!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let him go? Gimme a break!

Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 PM

Default RE: Let him go? Gimme a break!

If someone lets a 130 class buck go around here, they'll do their dangest to get him committed to the nearest whacko asylum...
Old 10-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

130 is defintely shooter in my book. The way this season is going I'll take something smaller as long as he's legal
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Site Buck Guru

This is my second year of passing on 130 class bucks. I started holding out for 140 and better, last year. Got a 147 gross/143 net. It's not so hard to do if you've already got 1/2 a dozen 130s. My hunting areas allow for this. It took me years to find spots like this. You have to hunt where they live. This goal is my own personal thing that makes me happy. If it's not for you, don't try it. The bottom line is that you won't achieve your goal if you settle for something less. Make sure you know what lives in your area so you can set a realistic goal.

BTW, I've shot deer that I let go in the past. 25 to 30 inches in one year is about right for where I hunt. Also, most of the mature deer that I've taken, have been from tracts of 5 to 40 acres.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

hell any buck in wi. if you dont shoot it someone else will.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep he's down alright
Old 10-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally... Here in Mass... I shoot every buck I see.... Spike, Fork, whatever... Sometimes you can go the whole season here w/ out seeing a buck!
I usually shoot the first doe or 2 I see as well...
Old 10-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wave

not sure I know exactly what 130 looks like but I'd love toget an arrow inan older buck with a rack like the one ostdc's got there nice Classic white tail he's very symetrical.
This is what a 130" buck looks like.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter
Personally... Here in Mass... I shoot every buck I see.... Spike, Fork, whatever... Sometimes you can go the whole season here w/ out seeing a buck!
Same thing here, although I will let the spikes and forks pass during muzzleloader and rifle season this year (already put a spike down with the bow)
Old 10-20-2006, 10:22 AM

I would let a deer like that go only because i live in iowa and our deer get 140 150 easily and we see a lot of deer. If that deer is a hog for your area then shot him.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ostdc

How many of you guys that promote the let'em go theory have under your protective thumb the 10 square miles that that 130 class buck is going to run during the rut? If you aren't the local land baron, how can you expect that buck to be there next year.
I have one gaurantee....If I pass that 130 class buck this fall, I will see him next year.......on my neighbors wall!
Brian

It is this post, and the numerous follow up posts, that contain all of the ignorance and short sightednessnecessary toresult in the requirement of legislative mandated antler restrictions. Too simple and naive to do it on our own so we have to be forced to do it to protect the very game we so love to hunt. How very sad.[]

Quick Reply: Let him go? Gimme a break!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.