Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let him go?  Gimme a break! >

Let him go? Gimme a break!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let him go? Gimme a break!

Old 10-19-2006, 03:39 PM

Default RE: Let him go? Gimme a break!

Hey if that deer walked in my shooting range You better believe I would shoot him .
Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I beg to differ that you will not see the same buck again. I hunt both public and private, and twice on public I have let a smaller buck walk....and twice I saw him the following year (one is on my dads wall)

On my farm we have 350 acres. Last year we started letting small bucks walk...result this year is we have seen alot of mature bucks (3 1/2 or older)

A 130 inch buck is my cut off. Anything under I am PROBABLY going to let walk. Not a gaurentee, but I just don't want to kill a 2 1/2 yr old. I can kill does for meat.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:59 PM

I decide what I will or will not shoot when I get the chance to shoot.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

My point in starting this thread is that A 130 class buck is probably the buck of a lifetime for most of us. 150 and higher will cost outfitter's fees.
I am all for passing up the younger deer. I have selfimposed restrictions. But I wouldn't pass a 130 in hopes of seeing him next year as maybe 150-160.
Here is me with my biggest buck in my 23 years of hunting.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you on that front. A deer that scores 130's is big enough for me. He is probably 3 1/2 yrs old on our land, and while there are still probably bigger bucks around....I don't get into a treestand every year and have a 130+ walk underneath me.

Now 2 1/2 yr. old 120 inchers are a different story. I see way more of these, and alot of them get shot by neighbors......but some of them grow up and grow up to big boys.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 PM

this thread is pretty pointless. If you said "If you had 250 acres in Iowa and all your neighbors practice QDM would you let a 130 buck go?" answer: probably yes.

Ifyou hunt public land in New England: You are taking that buck!

I actually hunt in RI on private land. I would have to think hard on taking a 130 because there are some BIG deer this year behind the parents house! I only have one buck tag.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

how about this???
Old 10-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

if i see a 130 class buck in the area i hunt, im gonna either chit myself or hit myself. ill hit myself to make sure that im awake and not dreaming!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see any buck and he is about big enough for me. With the exception of fawns, deer around here are not everywhere. A buck on state land is gold.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:59 PM

not sure I know exactly what 130 looks like but I'd love toget an arrow inan older buck with a rack like the one ostdc's got there nice Classic white tail he's very symetrical.

here's a buck I got last year what do yall think he'd score?

I'm

Quick Reply: Let him go? Gimme a break!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.