HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Tracking wounded deer with dogs.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/160570-tracking-wounded-deer-dogs.html)

dream season 25 10-19-2006 10:30 AM

Tracking wounded deer with dogs..

Hey guys, my dad has a dog that tracks wounded deer. the breeder is john jeanneney i was wondering if any of you had some of his dogs, and if you have any cool stories of how they tracked a deer for you!

huntingson 10-19-2006 10:36 AM

RE: Tracking wounded deer with dogs..

I have a mutt from the pound that tracks deer really well. I don't think you necessarily need a specially bred dog to follow a blood trail, but that is just my opinion and experience.

V8Ranger 10-19-2006 10:38 AM

I don't know where your from, but hear in up state NY you cant use dogs. It sure would make tracking much easer thats for sure.

dream season 25 10-19-2006 10:48 AM

hmmm i think you can track wounded deer in ny thats where john lives and i know he tracks wounded deer. i live in indiana we can track wounded deer here. i know some states dont allow it but you 100 percent sure ny is one of them

Western MA Hunter 10-19-2006 11:02 AM

illegal to track w/ dogs here in MA. I wish we could!

BobCo19-65 10-19-2006 11:04 AM

I don't know where your from, but hear in up state NY you cant use dogs. It sure would make tracking much easer thats for sure.
That is untrue. Check the laws.

SteveO KanevO 10-19-2006 11:13 AM

Well I got a story. I dont remember what kind of dogs they were but we still never found the deer. It was the year after I killed my first deer and I was 10. My dad and I were walking through a sage grass field and I had wandered off (as usual). I kept walking and came upon a ditch that was covered in downed trees and limbs. And to this day, seriously I havent seen a bigger deer while I've been hunting. He jumped up and started climbing the ditch and reached the other side before I could get my 4-10 pump to my shoulder. One hop later I slammed him with a slug and I dont know if I hit him the second time. Anyway. My dad watched everything and we tracked the deer to a fence row. On the otherside was a stand of 7 year old pines. Can you imagine, I know you can, how thick that stuff was. Well while we were ambling through it I haphazardly let go of a limb and popped my dad in the eye. The things one endures to take children hunting. So we went back to his office (a couple miles away) and he went to the doctor. Well one of our friends took me back down there and we took some dogs to try and track it. But to no avail. It didnt bother that much not finding the deer back then. But now it does. As Irecall he wasnt bleeding that much. I was pretty shaken after it happened and while it was going on. Ahhhh memories. This event took place in mississippi.

davidmil 10-19-2006 11:21 AM

There's a good old boy that lives just outside Ellaville, Georgia(Ronnie Heath). He had a wonderful black lab that was the greatest frienliest dog you could ever imagine. Her name was Sally. The critter could track anything. I shot a buck with my old slow Polar LTD a whole lot of years ago(back in the 70s) I shot him right at dark when it was probably TOO dark to do so. I heard the loud whack and could barely make out the arrow(I thought it was anyway), mostly hanging out in the shoulder as the deer sped away.

I looked for a couple hours in the dark but was only able to track it 75 yards at most. The next day I had something to do(work) that I couldn't avoid. I called Ronnie and told him my plight. He ask where I was hunting and where the stand was. It was only 150 yards off the road. He said he'd take Sally out at daylight with his brother Wayne. Thedog hit the deers scent and started tugging like crazy before they got to the stand. He let her have her head and in 25 yards they found the arrow with only blood on the first 4 or 5 inches. The old Bear Razorheads point was rolled right over. They kept on the track just in case, but it didn't look like a killing hit.

Ronnie called me about noon and said, well we found your arrow, the deer went here, there and then up into that big field across from the hog farm. He wandered all over that picked peanut field with a bunch of other deer. Then he crossed into the soybean field, angled back into the woods a good 3/4 of a mile from where you shot him. He went down into that swamp that runs along the creek. Suddendly he stood up right in front of us. We could see a splotch high on his shoulder where you hit him. He and the 3 does with him took off as Sally was going nuts. He's still runnin'. They had tracked this deer close to a mile with Sally starting 10 or 12 hours behind him. He said we found a spot of blood along the waybut nothing more than if you cut yourself shaving.

That's what a good dog can do.

Killer_Primate 10-20-2006 07:26 AM

I agree with huntingson. You don't need a special tracking breed. Any healthy dog can track once taught. I have an Australian Cattle Dog (Buddy) and he is a great helper. We've only lost one deer that I hit poorly. It was still alive the next morning and went onto a piece of private property that we can not follow him onto. I think Buddy was more disapointed than me! I may even take him live hunting during firearms season this year.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-20-2006 07:57 AM

ORIGINAL: V8Ranger

You might want to recheck your laws unless upper state is different from the rest of the state. There is an organization just for this purpose in NY with dispatchers and everything.

Hey guys, my dad has a dog that tracks wounded deer. the breeder is john jeanneney i was wondering if any of you had some of his dogs, and if you have any cool stories of how they tracked a deer for you!
I have a decendant of John's dogs, I believe my pups grandsire is John's dog, My breeder is Andy Bensing, his sire is from John's litters.

I've read John's book and we're currently trying to legalize it in PA.

I know NY and Maryland allow it. You can even find trackers on www.unitedbloodtrackers.org

These guys are right, there is no specific breed that you particularly need if trained properly. Some breeds are just better suited for it tho you can train most breeds to do this very thing or anything for that matter, dogs are amazing animals.