Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tracking wounded deer with dogs.. >

Tracking wounded deer with dogs..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tracking wounded deer with dogs..

Old 10-20-2006, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Tracking wounded deer with dogs..

I was hunting yesterday morning when I heard a crunch behind me I slowly turned to see 4 of my dogs. playing in the creek[:@]I slaped my fore head and sighed then saida few choice words. they had followed the coon cover scent right toi where I crossed the creek, I knew better than too put it on at the house, I put it on in my pasture guess they were out and caught the scent

Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 AM

rob i definatly agree with that statement too lts of breeds can be trained to do a good job tracking wounded deer."some are just better suited for the job" we have a wirehair dachshund.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes ds25, like I said, I have one of John's dog's decendants. A Wire Haired Dachshund named Axel. Here he is, he's 6 mo. old now and still in training.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know where your from, but hear in up state NY you cant use dogs. It sure would make tracking much easer thats for sure.
It's perfectly legal to track wounded deer with dogs. Illegal to hunt with dogs. In fact I believe a licensed tracker with his dog can finish the job with a sidearm if he comes across the deer still alive (not 100% sure on that, but I believe that's true).

I had a wirehaired dachsound track a buck for me years ago. It was a high hit with a very weak bloodtrail. I shot it in the afternoon andbloodtrailed on my hands and knees for about 20 hours straight (took a break to get something to eat and drink). Finally got to that dreaded point of not another drop of blood for another 2 or 3 hours. Followed the tracks as far as we could untill we lost them in some thick junk(another 2 or 3 hours of searching). Last resortto call a bunch of buddies and grid search (don't know how many hours). It wasdark again (more than 24 hours after I first started). I told my buddies to beat it, they were pretty whooped from helping me. I plugged away alone for a few more hours with the lights. Had no concept of time at that point. Went home and grabbed a few hours of sleep and headed back at first light. I walked a nearby creek up and down for a few miles to no avail. I worked my way backwards at last blood and looked at different avenues he may have gone. Followed 2 or 3 different avenues for a few hundred yards each looking for another print or drop. NOTHING!! Almost 2 days into looking for him and I was pretty much bummed and out of options.

Soooooooooo I called my archery shop and got a number of a couple of different trackers. He came out with his pooch. I have to say I was totally amazed at how the dog worked. We started heading to where I shot the buck and the dog was on the trail following my ribbon line like a string. What took me sometimes a half hour to find a drop of blood 50 yards apart, this dog was on in a second. We got to my last ribbon and I was interested to see what was going to happen next. The dog didn't miss a beat. He stayed on the trail and the tracker would yell out "more blood" (size of an eraser) as the dog kept going. He ended up following it for more than 500 yards and got a little sidetracked when the deer crossed the road. Took him awhile to pick it up again after that. He seemed to be on something, but we couldn't see any more blood. He followed a trail of something to a creek (different one) and couldn't pick it up again. We decided at that point to call it off. After he and the dog left I walked around the creek where the dog lost the trail for a few more hours. I wish the story had a happier ending, but we never recovered the deer. I'm inclined to believe he is (was) still walking around.

I will say that I was amazed at the distance the dog followed the trail after my last blood. From what I understand they actually follow the scent of the deer track rather than blood. The tracker said next time (hopefully won't be) call as soon as you can so the trail is still hot and the dog has a better chance. He also seemed to believe the deer probably wasn't fatally wounded.Made me feel a little better but not much. If I ever have a real screwy bloodtrail that I'm not 100% sure of I won't hesitate to call a dog again.

All in all I think the whole ordeal was close to 3 days of looking for him.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's perfectly legal to track wounded deer with dogs. Illegal to hunt with dogs. In fact I believe a licensed tracker with his dog can finish the job with a sidearm if he comes across the deer still alive (not 100% sure on that, but I believe that's true).
That is true if it is beyond legal hunting time. If not, the hunter must finish the job.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

rob i definatly agree with that statement too lts of breeds can be trained to do a good job tracking wounded deer."some are just better suited for the job" we have a wirehair dachshund.

Exactly. Some are much better suited.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have an english setter thats nearly 11 months old. She came from a pheasant/quail line of dogs. Since I don't pheasant hunt (bought her for a companion) I thought I'd take her out after a wounded deer when I shoot one. Well Tuesday night I shot a nice doe quartering away from a steep angle since I was at about fifteen feet and the doe was about 10 yards out. The arrow entered about the kidney area angling forward into the chest. The broadhead never punched an exit hole. The deer crashed off like a race horse and about 70 yards out it hit a standing cornfield and I heard the corn rattling as she ran. After if became quiet I climbed down.
I went home to get Sadie and see what she'd do with no training. Well I guess I need to do some training because she wasn't any help at all. There was no blood trail and we searched up and down the cornfield for blood or the deer. After more than an hour of searching and not wanting to leave her overnight because I knew the arrow had done the job, I expanded my search area. So I thought maybe I'd leave the corn to search the high grass from which she originally came and after about 50 yards I found her. Sadie sniffed her a bit and thats it.
I wanted to save some deer blood in whirlipak bags for training her next spring but I was worn out from all the searching and forgot.
But one plus to having Sadie along,She pulled hard on the way out which I appreciated since I fastened her leash to the deer cart.
Shes really good at being a companion!

Happy Hunting
Dan