Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I want to cry

Old 10-19-2006, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I want to cry

OK, you must be doing something right to have the opportunity you did. If that sdeer was a basket 8 he is probably young and inexperienced so he very well may come back. If he never winded you or saw you your chances of another shot at him probably aren't too bad. I would stay put. Don't over hunt the stand and make sure the wind is in your favor.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

First thing dude, chill out. Traffic is slower on here at night and sometimes I tend to glance over a long post then come back to it later. Pitching a fit isn't going to get you anywhere. Now to answer your questions and offer some advice:

First of all, your scenario is EXACTLY why I'm a huge proponent of using a single pin. No clutter and confusion at the moment of truth. Depending on the speed of your bow, you should be able to set 1 pin at 25 yards and shoot to between 30-35 yards and not think twice about it.

Second, if he didn't wind you or see you and your in his area chances are you will get another opportunity at him, but it may take a few sits.

What do you mean he went to the prone position, did he fall to the ground then get back up and run off? Was there no sign of a hit whatsoever?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:19 AM

Well...I don't know the answers to your questions.

However - I do think that you wrote the story out well. Very entertaining! I liked reading it. Not too long at all.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:36 PM

sorry bout freakin out about no one answering me I was just so pissed off about what happened. When I said he went to the prone He heard the arrow hit the tree (my arrow was completely clean no blood fur nuthing) he ran for maybe 10 yards and I think he may have seen me move in the tree i dunno but he laid down for a couple seconds got back up and ran off. Im thinking of moving towards where he came from last night. He came from a thicket that leads out to a logging road with fresh scrapes. Im pretty sure hes hanging out in that thicket. I dunno what to do Im just gonna go with my gut its worked for me so far. The last 2 times ive been out i have seen deer so well see what happens
Old 10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Spike

Are you positive you missed? I had a buck do exactly what you mention. He ran about 50 yards, laid down for a brief second or two, then got up and ran again. I found him double lunged about 40 yards from where I saw him get up from.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Too long, too detailed...it's like listening to my wife talk (blah-blah-blah)

Cheer up, it gets better, whatever it was you were sad about.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM

I like this guy. You are a hot head like me. Anyway Look if he didnt stop and blow at you then no. He doesnt have a clue you were there, all he knows is that there was a loud sound. You can hunt it, if theres does in the area, he'll be back.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 PM

That is strange behavior. I would let it rest a couple days and hunt it this weekend. Don't get so upset. Be glad you saw an 8-point your first season.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 PM

if i would have hit him i would have had some indication of blood etc on my arrow right? The arrow was completely clean and as far as my arrow was in the tree i doubt i hit him