Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Maximum Confident Shooting Range??? >

Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Old 10-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

I'll shoot 30 but I would perfer the deer to be much closer than that.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: mez

This one always kicks a beehive. TS I understand and respect your opinion. ...all I ask is that you respect my opinion and others on the issue. No one is right or wrong, it is something we all need to decide for ourselves and ultimately it is what we can live with.... I let my experience dictate what I do and I'm comfortable with that. In the end we are all hunters sharing the same passion.
Hey mez, you couldn't have summerized the point any better than you did.

My intent w/ the posed question really wasn't to start such an uproar...but for the record, I'm not judging anyoneeither,just stating my opinion and asking all of you for yours. Thanksa bunch to all.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:03 PM

My effective bow range was determined through my preparation for my archery elk hunt this year. It is 40 yards maximum. I feel confident that I can make a well placed lethal shot at that yardage while staring down at an animal...

Regards,

GS
Old 10-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunter....Id say 35yards and under....i like it way under for best results
Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

20 yds
Old 10-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not trying to argumentative, just curious. If you will take a shot at 50, 60, 70 yards, at what point do you decide to take that shot and not try to coax the deer a little closer or just hope for better range on the next hunt?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

The farthest I will shoot under perfect conditions is 35 yds. I prefer them less than 25. The first deer i ever shot was at 37, but if that opportunity presented itself again today, I wouldnt take it, just because I'm not 100% that I would hit the vitals.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:47 PM

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A FIGHT CHILL OUT
Old 10-23-2006, 05:06 AM

10 or 20 yards is a slam dunk for me other than maybe freak accident.
But the question I have is- where i hunt on public land i can't get closer than 40 or 50 yards to a deer when im in a blind, so even though i can hit a grapefruit sized target 9 out of 10 times at 40 yards, is 40 yrds+ so far that deer jump the string before the arrow hits?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:15 AM

Also using a good whitetail setup (compound in 60# draw, 430 grain cut on contact arrows/heads, with probably 63 foot/lbs of energy) What is the max range that this setup gives lethal kinetic energy to a whitetail? (even if i can hit a metal ram target with a scoped .22 at 100 yards the slug may not have the kinetic energy to knockdown like it does at 50 yards)

Quick Reply: Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.