Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Maximum Confident Shooting Range??? >

Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

gzg, I agree with you mostly. I don't think you, or most of us, give ourselves enough credit for what we are capable of though. But, one must know one's limits and not exceed them, and I applaud you for doing just that.

I absolutely refuse to shoot a deer if I'm not 100% certain that I'm going to hit the lungs.
Nor will I. That's why everything would have to be good for me to do it. I'm not going to shoot at one that far in the woods. Too many things to jump up and hit my arrow. But if I'm hunting a field edge, there is not a terrible wind blowing and I am locked in.....I'm letting it fly. And I'm also certain I'm killing that deer.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM

I will shoot out to 50 on whitetails - if I feel all is good.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Spike

my max distance is 50 yards. Only would take that if the deer was wounded and no chance of getting it without a second arrow. I keep my shots 30 yards or less if all possible. My farthest one shot so far has been 18 yards.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:25 PM

i shoot out to 30 yards..anything i think past that is unethical unless you have practiced the shot and u are sure of it and comfortable enough killing a deer at that distance..personally most of my shots are only 10 to 20 yards so i havent really had to shoot past 20..but in case i have to someday 30 will be the most for me..
Old 10-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm real confident about shooting forty yards forty fiveand beyond is a lttie iffiey , when I practiceshooting with broad heads I'm always shaving the fletchings off my shafts at forty yards and I had done some robin hoods as well with field tips.
I'm not braging , I'm just sayingthe more you practice the better you get and I'mreal confident that I can hit the boiler room / double lungpass thru nine out ten times
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I can see a target, I'll shoot at it. 60, 80, 100 yards, nosweat. Might lose an arrow but targets don't bleed.And that's not the point anyway.

I am confident I can shoot more than well enough with a compound to put an arrow through a deer's ribcage at 50 yards every time, BUT....That's not my idea of whatbowhunting is about.If I wanted totake hunting shotsat distances further than 30 yards, I'd be using the muzzleloaderinstead of the bow.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

It depends on the amount of clothing I am wearing, weather conditions, lighting etc.

When someone tells me they kill deer at 50 yds, I say they are a good shooter.
When someone tells me they kill deer at 10 yds, I say they are a good HUNTER.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say about 30, but I can't even see that far from most of my stands, let alone shoot a 30 yard shot.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most all of hunting shots seem to be 20 yards or less. I seem to find myself in fields the last couple of years and do not get the 20 yarders. I shoot lots of 3D and indoor leagues. I will shoot up to maybe 45 yrds. I took this years deer at 40 yrds (first one over 20 yrds), and felt good about it after ranging it. Had I not ranged it, I would not have shot it. I like the security of knowing the longer distances.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

30yards max and never lost a deer.

Quick Reply: Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.