Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Maximum Confident Shooting Range??? >

Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Old 10-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Huntingson

Im talking about not wantingto woundit and letting it lie and suffer for a day or two without finding it, because "it might not react to my shot at 50 yards".

I guess your ok if that happenshuh.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

40 yards now. 2 years ago would have been 50 but haven'tbeen shooting that far in a couple years. I am just as confident my arrow is going to end up in the chest at 40 as I am at 20. You 20 yard ethics cops would have a lot stronger argument if you could back your points up with facts. When you pull things out of the air and try to support your point it doesn't do much for your cause.

Plain and simple your about 50% more likely to wound an amimal shooting it at this range, Im just not willing to take that chance.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

35 yards with optimal wind conditions, shooting lanes ect.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Ok then....give me some facts on why you think your arrow is going to land in the chest area atat40-50 yardsas you say.........you can't so I guess were in the same boat. Thats my whole point.....you don't know whats going to happen! You have to agree that the odds greatlyincrease of the deer reacting to the noise the farther it gets away though...right.

Youguys keep helpingme withmy point....this is great.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

I was always tought, and I thought if you can't get close enough to a deer you change your stand location or strategy to get that deer. Not just throw 50 yards shots at it and hope you it vitals.

You guys really don't care about wounding an animal...do you?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel confident toshoot out to 45 yards if the conditions (wind, Position the deer was standing, amount of daylight, etc.) were right. But I prefer to have the deer within 25 yards if at all possible.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

20or less[&:]
Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I said 40 yards not 40-50 yards. Fact, I shoot my bow every day. Fact, I shoot both field points and broadheads out of my bow every day. Fact, my broadheads end up in the kill zone on the 3-D target the same at 40 yards as they do at 20 yards. Fact, when I loose an arrow at a deer I have no control over what will happen after I touch the release, be it 20 yards or 40 yards. Fact, you have no control over what will happen after you hit the release on a deer at 20 yards or under. I base the 40 yard shot selection on the Fact that unless I want to refletch a bunch of arrows I only shoot one at a time into the 3-D target, even from 40 yards. So I have provided you with some facts, please provide me with the reference of the probability that me shooting at 40 yards will result in a 50% greater chance of me wounding a deer and not recovering it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:25 AM

25in the woods, 40 open country. I shot my doe last week at dead on 40, I had rangedsome spots earlier, and knew EXACTLY how far she was, and also was shooting from the ground. In open grasslands 20 yards is not always reality.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Fact, when I loose an arrow at a deer I have no control over what will happen after I touch the release, be it 20 yards or 40 yards. Fact, you have no control over what will happen after you hit the release on a deer at 20 yards or under. I base the 40 yard shot selection on the Fact that unless I want to refletch a bunch of arrows I only shoot one at a time into the 3-D target, even from 40 yards.
Real deer not 3D targets! 3D targets don't duck or start running away.
Just answer the question, is it more likely that a deer can react at 40 or 50 than 20?

Quick Reply: Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.