Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 November Full Moon >

November Full Moon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

November Full Moon

Old 10-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: November Full Moon

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

OK....then why is it different north and south? I mean, the amount of daylight is the same, so why do does in say.....Texas, come into estrous in December? I just don't get any of this.....[&:]
The moon phase is also the same, around the world yet the rut is different from the North to the South...it's more daylight hours/photoperiodism as Rack has mentioned.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:38 PM

Yes, the moon phase is indeed the same, which is why I was more confused than I normally am. [&:]

OK....so Alsheimer don't know his elbows from his knees, and it's photoperiodism.....I can buy that, in fact, that makes more sense than the moon thing.....
Old 10-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Dominant Buck

It's the amount of daylight that sets off the rut, but in conjunction with the moon it can and does effect daylight movement. Your ideal would be to have a blackout on the 14th or so. If it's a full blown neon moon, you can look for more movement during midday than at first and last light. I haven't looked, but probably optimum movement will be like 8 or 9 at night and 2 or 3 in the AM and then 11-1 or so during the day
Old 10-18-2006, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

I have noticed that the deer don't move much when there is a full moon they kinda hold up until after dark or around noon they move a little bit but if your hunting in Pike Co. don't worry about a thing just about all the big bucks that came from there in the past.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Photoperiodism, not moon phase, period! No pun intended.If temps aren't right, they move at night. That sounded pretty good.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

That kinda sucks that there will be a full moon on the 5th, I was planning on bowhunting that weekend and was looking forward to a little action in the evening and in the morning. In MO, that weekend is the weekend before rifle season andIMO is the best time to take a big buck with a bow......
Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

What if itis cloudy at night for 1 week straight during the full moon phase? - are they still moving more at night?

Are you saying that for whatever reason they like to move by the light of the silvery full moon?

Aren'ttheir eyes almost as good at night as they are during the day?

Why would they need the extra light of the full moon to move more?

I believe people think they move more during the full moon (if it isn't cloudy), because WE humans can see them moving around since the moon is casting a lot of light for US to see them with.

The rut occurs every year within a 14 day period in the North, whether it coincides with the photoperiodism, the full moon, or because of the Great Pumpkin - it really doesn't matter to me.

I just wish I had a job and a life that would allow me to be in the woods as much as possible during that timeframe.

Instead, most of that time, I will be stuck at work looking at all of your swollen neck, multi-pointed, drop-tined, crab-clawed, split-tined,heavy-racked, kicker-pointed, broken-rack, heavy bodied, big buck pictures (before, during lunch break and after only of course).

Good Luck.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:45 PM

What happens if you haveheavy cloudcover for a couple weeks in October (as is very possible in the Northeast)?... I believe that the rut is pretty muchduring the same timeframe each year (though it can vary according to latitude) to insure that the fawns are mature enough to survive the following winter. This would explain why the rut is earlier in NY than in NC!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:30 PM

Well I'll be hunting eight days straight starting on the afternoon of 11/6
Old 10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I remember about the rutting moon is last year they went friggen nuts the very morning after. I don't remember seeing big bucks moving the very next day, but the small guys just went gonzo. There was all kinds of seeking going on. Was it associated to the rutting moon? I can't say for sure. But if it wasn't it sure was coincidental!!

Quick Reply: November Full Moon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.