HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Equiptment malfunction! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/160260-equiptment-malfunction.html)

GregH 10-17-2006 07:49 PM

Equiptment malfunction!

Was out hunting tonight when a nice 8 point shows up. I was supposed to be waiting for a nice 10 point I saw last monday. You see I've never taken a clean 5x5 and it has always been my goal to get one. I've got 9s,10s(6x4s), 11, 12 and 14 points. Also about a dozen 8 points. But when this guy stepped out, I judged it at about 140", I lost it and tried to call him in. His tines were 6,10 and 8 inches long on both sides with at least an 18" spread and good mass. I got out my trusty grunt call and gave it a blast. It got his attention and then it wouldn't work any more![:@]There was a piece of debris caught in the reed and I couldn't get it out. I switched to the can call and succeeded in calling in a doe and a fawn. Instead of following them, the buck went into the next field over to check out a couple of smaller bucks and 2 more does with fawns. Oh well, it was still a great time. When I got home I fixed the grunt call by washing it out. Something I'll keep my eye on through out the season and before the start of every season. One of the times I tried to grunt, all that came out was a pathetic squeek! He heard that too. Here he is after the squeek.

mobow 10-17-2006 07:54 PM

RE: Equiptment malfunction!

Oh man.....my heart sank when I saw that photo...What a dandy!!! Keep at 'em partner... What grunt tube do you use, out of curiosity?

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-17-2006 07:56 PM

Dandy looking buck GregH, dandy. I hate's when the deer call goes sqquuekk..lol and a reason I carry several and hang several on my tree. Always have a back up..lol

Is that the first you saw that particular deer? Good luck Greg.

MOTOWNHONKEY 10-17-2006 07:57 PM

Hey, atleast you got a shot at him. With the camera. :DBetter luck next time Greg.

GregH 10-17-2006 08:44 PM

The grunt call is an old golden eagle, they don't make it anymore. I've had it since 1988 and have grunted in many bucks with it. Three people want to buy it from me but that's not happening, I'll be buried with that thing around my neck![:-]

This is the first time I've seen him this year Rob.;) It's the first time ever for the 10 I saw last monday.

Motown, you're right it is the first time I got a mature buck on camera, at least one that is half a$$ed in focus. But I'm working on that. It is a PITA carrying more gear with all the time, but it's great fun when you do score with the camera.;)

shed33 10-17-2006 08:48 PM

Greg,

I have had that happen once with a true talker. The sound that came out of mine sounded like a wounded duck. LOL once I cleaned it out it was fine. That photo you snapped is very cool. I personally love big 4x4'syet understand your clean 5x5 goal. I have killed every class of buck with my bow from 110 to 180's...except for a 150 class deer...so for me..I'm lookin for a 150 to fill that void..then I can try to find a 190! LOL I may need to move to the mid west to find one... Anyway..sorry for being long winded...best of luck on a clean 5x

Troy

Dubbya 10-17-2006 08:49 PM

That is a pretty good photo Greg, good lookin buck. In the next photo of him, I want to see you to in it as well.:D:D

Rack-attack 10-17-2006 08:51 PM

Nice pic.........

Those bases look SOLID [:o]

Get the 10 next year................wack this one soon:D

mofireman 10-17-2006 08:57 PM

That's a very nice picture of a really nice deer. Thanks for sharing!!

MichaelT. 10-17-2006 09:20 PM

I cannot even begin to fathom a deer that size. It would be truely inspiring to even get to see him, much less hunt him.

Let's hear it for the south arkansas basket rack. We may be short on bone, but our land can hold 300 deer to the acre.

Good hunting

God Bless