Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is shooting a deer across the fence without permission considered "poaching"? >

Is shooting a deer across the fence without permission considered "poaching"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - It's poaching.
95.90%
No. It's perfectly acceptable.
4.10%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Is shooting a deer across the fence without permission considered "poaching"?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is shooting a deer across the fence without permission considered "poaching"?

Here in Mb I believe that if don't have written permission to hunt their land its considered poaching.... tagging of illegal game ..... trespassing and maybe more charges. They like to stack charges here, thats why I'm over 10km away from the nearest fence. I also believe that you can't cross a fence to track adeer, unless you have verbal permission to do so...... if you don't have said permission it is lawful as long as a CO accompanies you[&:].
Setting up on a fence line that is on land that you don't have permission to hunt on is just asking for trouble. Even if you have seen the biggest buck in your life, the land owner may know and hunt too. All it takes is a ph call[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]hunting rights gone for min 2yrs, weapons gone forever, maybe your vehicle and more fines that you shake a stick at. Not for me nope!!!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is shooting a deer across the fence without permission considered "poaching"?

If you shoot him with a bow it's poaching....

If you shoot him with a gun.... it's OFF TOPIC.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 PM

Without PRIOR PERMISSION to hunt on the other person's property, it is absoloutly poaching.
Not a legal recovery either unless you get the landowner's permission FIRST.

Dude is lucky he just lost the deer to the yotes. Could have lost it to DNR and faced the penalties.
Hank
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

I didn't have to read the link to answer the question; illegal here in IA. HCH
Old 10-17-2006, 08:34 PM

Did i understand correctly that he set up facing over the fence to begin with? No way this guy will listen to the rest of us out her that see that as an blantant illeagle shot but intentional bad sportsmanship to boot. Shoots deer illeagally, trespasses, gives up looking for downed animal way too early, then BRAGS about it ?? Then defends himself?? We have a loser here that is the type that makes it hard for the good guys to get access to hunting land.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

In most states you no longer have to have signs up that say no tresspassing or no hunting. Every piece of owned property is considered posted regardless if its posted as or not. I would have used my better judgement before shootig at anythign on my neighbors property even though I have permission to do so if the chance arrives. I have full permisoon from both of my neighbors who are also hunters to go in and track and find any game that I have shot. You need to form some type ofbond with your neighbors. My neighbors are vrey nice people. One comes up only on weekends and holidays and the other one is our township treasurer. If I shoot a deer on my side of thefence and it crosses either or side, I can simply walk in at anytime to property to the east if i know someone isnt up hunting. But ifIshoot one and it goes to the propertyto my west, I will leave my woods, hop in my truck, go over to billys and ask him if anyone is hunting his landthat dayso I know, so i dont disturb anyone else thats hunting, if someone is, I will wait till dark before crossingover. Heres a rule of thumb, dontshootover fences, its just plain out wrong. Not to mention you could hit the fence and cause more wrong doing than good.

ORIGINAL: HighCountry_BruteForce

If there wasn't any bright yellow No Tresspassing or Hunting signs....then I don't consider it poaching.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone know for certain or have a link to the exact wording of the law that says you cant shoot onto anothers property. I have never seen the actual written law. Me and my friends have had this debate before. We all set are stands far off the property line so we arent tempted to take a shot like that.

Yes i know that regardless the recovery of the deer is illegal.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:24 AM

I grew up in the country but currently live in the city so I have been raised with a respect for other peoples property. Indicating that he didn't see any no trespassing signs is B.S. It is your responsibility to know where you are, not the land owners. Hey dumb ****, there is a fence there for a reason. My dad once caught up with some snowmobilers on our field one winter day. They stated there were not any no trespassing signs visible. My dad replied that their yards do not have no trespassing signs therefore it would be ok to set up a tent, have a BBQ, and otherwise walk all over it like it was his own. I think they finally got it.

It's people like you who give hunting a bad name.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 AM

place where we hunt we have a guy that set up in a tree with posted signs on it. I was walking down to hang my climber for an evening hunt and saw him in his stand. I took a peek into the field to see if anything was out ( 5 feet from the posted signs). He said you are trespassing and I explained that I left all my gear and bow on our side of the property. Trying to be dumb, I asked him where the line was....he pointed directly down from his stand....

wonder where he thinks his shots are going to be....straight onto our property...oh well
Old 10-18-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I was set up along a creek bed at a major crossing. On the other side of the creek was another person's private property (that doesn't hunt.) At sunrise the biggest buck I've ever personally seen made his way towards my exact location and I was sure he was going to cross the creek onto my side.
Long story short, he never came across and even though he was only 10 yards away I NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED shooting the buck.

A person may get away with breaking a law but they can never get away from breaking their own ethics!

Quick Reply: Is shooting a deer across the fence without permission considered "poaching"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.